Restore boot after change to virtual machine

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Restore boot after change to virtual machine

Postby deb-craftsman » 2020-05-25 10:47

Hello,

I am not experienced to use so I ask ;)

Existing physical server with Debian 3.1 Sarge / kernel 2.6.27.7
I have to transfer to a virtual machine. I made a disk copy using dd and ran it in the esxi virtual machine. Grub reports I choose the default option Debian 2.6.27.7 RAID and throws the error as in the picture below (https://ibb.co/5rLD86V)

From what I was able to determine, the system is to boot from the md1 (/ boot) (sda1) and md0 (/) (sda3) swap (/ swap) (sda2) partitions, i.e. the software raid is configured.
However, the photo shows that esxi does not detect the sda1 and sda3 partitions at all. what should I do?

So far, I've booted the Debian live system and recovered the mdadm --assemble --scan partitions, then chroot, but I don't know how to write this information to the debian 3.1 system, I don't have the update-initramfs option. Is this a good way at all?
deb-craftsman

Re: Restore boot after change to virtual machine

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-05-25 12:07

The documentation for GRUB v0.9x is still available on the internet, and so are instructions how to boot from md arrays - why not use them?

Your screenshot clearly shows what have happened: The md array was incorrectly configured *before* it was moved to VM -> You should use device/partition UUIDs to assemble the array.

Regards.

PS:
I can't see a single reason for using archaic (and unsupported) Debian Sarge today - yes, I know there can be some old applications which are still in use - but all of them can be easily moved without any changes in the code to current stable version of Debian.
I also know why some IT departments are taking such a stupid decisions - but I'll keep this information for myself ...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Return to Installation