Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

efi file format not available on install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
sodcore

efi file format not available on install

#1 Post by sodcore »

I am a experienced Debian operator, however new to efi. just starting to work with it.
I am currently trying to install my system with efi boot.
When I downloaded the Debian 10.ISO file and used for install, it initially let me select efi file format from the list when manually partitioning disks.
However, all of a sudden it is not available.
I can not figure out why.
I am changing to efi boot because I may want a drive that is larger then 2 terabytes and also I am trying the run oracle VM and having a lot of trouble About EFI BOOT, when I try to run my virtual machine.
At any rate does anybody know why efi is not available?
I have been working on this for days and have done a lot of searching on google about efi and installing it.
Thanks,
Donald

cuckooflew

Re: efi file format not available on install

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

Did you see this when you did your searches ?
From: https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstallProblem2: EFI boot entries disappear after reboot

The uefi firmware did not create a proper boot entry in NVRAM. This has been seen in a Lenovo Thinkcenter M92Z. The symptom for this will be a missing HD path after the debian entry in the efibootmgr --verbose output. --- read the entire page---
I suggest at least trying this, but I am no expert at all, and since yours is a VM, I can see how it may need a different approach,..
I am trying the run oracle VM and having a lot of trouble About EFI BOOT, when I try to run my virtual machine.
Another suggestion,or hint, you might want to consider using something besides "Oracle", that is a problem within a problem, there are better VM software, EG: QEMU /KVM,... but any way it is your choice,
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemVirtualization
================================
https://wiki.debian.org/KVM
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sodcore wrote:At any rate does anybody know why efi is not available?
Perhaps the installer is not booted in UEFI mode, switch to a console screen and check for /sys/firmware/efi — that will only exist if the system is booted in UEFI mode.

Make sure that UEFI is enabled and "Legacy" mode (CSM) is disabled in your firmware ("BIOS") options.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

sodcore wrote:When I downloaded the Debian 10.ISO file and used for install, it initially let me select efi file format from the list when manually partitioning disks.
However, all of a sudden it is not available.
What do you mean exactly by "efi file format" ? An EFI system partition (ESP) ?
The Debian installer offers to create an ESP only when booted in (U)EFI mode, not in BIOS/legacy mode.
sodcore wrote:I am changing to efi boot because I may want a drive that is larger then 2 terabytes
You do not need EFI boot to use drives larger than 2 TiB. You need GPT partitioning. GPT can be used with BIOS too. You can select GPT when doing an expert install.

sodcore

#5 Post by sodcore »

I had to boot in efi mode to make it work.
Thanks.
I will post if I have futher problems with efi boot mode install for system. Not on the vm.

sodcore

#6 Post by sodcore »

I am trying to sign my uefi security keys with mokutil for my oracle vm to work correctly.
I am not sure if I need UEFI security enabled.
I get an error if I try to turn them on with or with out the the keys being loaded.
DO I need the keys enabled to sign the keys and if so how do I install the system with it on.
I keep getting errors that the EFI files are not there.
Thanks,
Donald

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Please open a new thread for that problem, it is off topic here.

Be sure to search for a solution first though, for example https://gist.github.com/reillysiemens/a ... d79b2182a4
deadbang