Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

computer reboots in the middle of installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
shaind

computer reboots in the middle of installation

#1 Post by shaind »

I tried to install Debian Buster 10.4 on an old hardware (ASUS AT3GC-I board with an on-board intel Atom 330 CPU, 2GiB RAM), but It keeps rebooting during installation.

I tried both Graphical install and TUI install but they're the same. Cannot finish the installation process and the system reboots without any message or warning while copying files to the new partition. And the exact point of failure is unknown - it is random. Sometimes it reboots right after setting up the user password, sometimes it reboots some minutes after that. But in any case the failure happens after partitioning and formatting is done and user password is set.

I suspect some hardware failure, but I still can boot the hardware with Debian live CD image on an USB stick. So the hardware must be fine.
I also checked the drive and it had no problems. I could even install Debian on the same drive by plugging it into another computer. (with the same USB stick)

The installation image that I used is "debian-10.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso"

What are the possible reasons of this installation failure and how can I mitigate them?
Last edited by shaind on 2020-06-13 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: computer reboots in the middle of installation

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Why are you using a DVD image on a USB stick?

Try the netinstall ISO instead and be sure to follow the instructions given in the official installation guide when transferring the Image to the USB stick (section 4.3). Hint: unetbootin doesn't work and Rufus is discouraged.

And are you sure that your machine will work without non-free firmware? That's rather rare, especially in respect of wireless connectivity. See the firmware page on the Debian wiki for more on this.
deadbang

shaind

#3 Post by shaind »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Why are you using a DVD image on a USB stick?
Because I may not have an internet connection for the specific hardware during installation... it's too far away from my router and I only have wi-fi connection for my laptop and the specific hardware does not have one.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:be sure to follow the instructions given in the official installation guide when transferring the Image to the USB stick (section 4.3). Hint: unetbootin doesn't work and Rufus is discouraged.
But I already succeeded installing linux on my laptop using the same USB stick. So the USB stick should be fine and well flashed(I used rufus). Or am I missing something?
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:And are you sure that your machine will work without non-free firmware? That's rather rare, especially in respect of wireless connectivity. See the firmware page on the Debian wiki for more on this.
I tried again with the image 'firmware-10.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso' but Much to my regret, the results are the same: the system reboots abruptly during base system install...

awesomemachine

#4 Post by awesomemachine »

Try using a powered usb hub.
What was truth is truth now, and it always will be truth! There is one truth! Everything else is wrong!

andre@home

#5 Post by andre@home »

I had a similar problem in 2011 while copying a lot of data on an installed Debian 6.
Hardware : Asus E35M1-M Series with an AMD 350E CPU & 4 GB RAM.
It was reproducible oo another system with exactly the same hardware. No RAM hardware problem, bios up to date.
As in those days extra RAM was affordable I took the risk to add 4 GB RAM and the problem was solved on both systems.
Both are now still working without any problems upgraded to Debian 8 (further upgrades are planned).

I never got an finger behind the exact cause. So I had luck the 4GB helped, but the initial 4GB should have been OK.

But I would suggest to check at least you RAM with eg Memtest86.