Kernel panic when installing on old, 32-bit i386 system

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Re: Kernel panic when installing on old, 32-bit i386 system

Postby Frostsnow » 2020-07-26 22:24

The shell on the installer does not have 'lscpu', so here's the output of 'cat /proc/cpuinfo':
Code: Select all
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M (LV) 1600+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1393.158
cache size      : 256 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fdiv_bug        : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow cpuid 3dnowprefetch vmmcall
bugs            : fxsave_leak sysret_ss_attrs spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass
bogomips        : 2786.31
clflush size    : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes   : 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid

The memory available ('cat /proc/meminfo') is a rather strange number, but should be more than enough:
Code: Select all
MemTotal:        1124200 kB
MemFree:         1054120 kB
MemAvailable:     974588 kB
Buffers:              28 kB
Cached:            46200 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:            23552 kB
Inactive:          31208 kB
Active(anon):      23524 kB
Inactive(anon):    31208 kB
Active(file):         28 kB
Inactive(file):        0 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
HighTotal:        249800 kB
HighFree:         193160 kB
LowTotal:         874400 kB
LowFree:          860960 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 4 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:          8568 kB
Mapped:             4544 kB
Shmem:             46200 kB
Slab:              10008 kB
SReclaimable:       5552 kB
SUnreclaim:         4456 kB
KernelStack:         496 kB
PageTables:          280 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:      562100 kB
Committed_AS:      62924 kB
VmallocTotal:     122880 kB
VmallocUsed:           0 kB
VmallocChunk:          0 kB
Percpu:              116 kB
HardwareCorrupted:     0 kB
AnonHugePages:         0 kB
ShmemHugePages:        0 kB
ShmemPmdMapped:        0 kB
HugePages_Total:       0
HugePages_Free:        0
HugePages_Rsvd:        0
HugePages_Surp:        0
Hugepagesize:       4096 kB
Hugetlb:               0 kB
DirectMap4k:       24568 kB
DirectMap4M:      872448 kB
Frostsnow

Postby CwF » 2020-07-26 22:42

Deb-fan wrote:Someone could no doubt build such a customized install in a dang virtual machine and transfer it on to other pc's.

I have done exactly that, however for a 4GB dual Tualatin, so technically a i686?
CwF

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-07-26 23:00

^ Stuff thats possible with hypervisors is mind blowing. :)

Op ... cool that you're at least trying, Google things like "get hardware information Linux".

Funny, so gotta do it. Isn't it amazing how often a scene from a movie can express exactly how you feel in many situations?

Do they speak English in what?!!?!

English <expletive>! ... Do you speak it?!??!

Samuel L Jackson, Pulp Fiction. :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby CwF » 2020-07-26 23:25

Deb-fan wrote:^ Stuff thats possible with hypervisors is mind blowing. :)

Definitely. I still use that image in a vm. It's cpu's have been magically upgraded and is now buster, it didn't flinch. It's my only installation with wine and I occasionally pass a video card to it to see how wine can perform. I'm not sold.

I do still have my kick but pentium 233(292)mmx cad box from the late 90's. Dual appian vga and NT4 with 512 ram and 6 scsi channels. I did consider making an image, I can image to a scsi drive...did determine buslogic support was no longer in the kernel, and thought of the fruit I'd enjoy and then imagined a bitter choke cherry, so I didn't try.
CwF

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-07-27 00:11

Op ... Basically saying there are far too many easy and straight forward ways to get and provide detailed hardware information in nix. Use them and do so. I don't know what i386 is/means, so heck better include it in the title of my help thread just in case it's pertinent or? Errrr at this point I want to come over to your house and hit that PC with a hammer a buncha times. :)
Deb-fan

Postby Frostsnow » 2020-07-27 00:37

Deb-fan wrote:Funny, so gotta do it. Isn't it amazing how often a scene from a movie can express exactly how you feel in many situations?

I find that people's reactions to events are actually conditioned by movies.

Deb-fan wrote:Op ... Basically saying there are far too many easy and straight forward ways to get and provide detailed hardware information in nix. Use them and do so. I don't know what i386 is/means, so heck better include it in the title of my help thread just in case it's pertinent or?

And they all have slightly different nomenclature to describe the various architectures. Anyways, Debian calls 32-bit x86 'i386', so I went with that.

I tried installing Debian Jessie and that did work, hurrah! I've returned the computer back to the neighbor, warning him of the caveats that the computer is just too old and shouldn't be used on the Internet. Thanks all for the help.
Frostsnow

Postby p.H » 2020-07-29 14:51

Frostsnow wrote:From the net installer, there's a "Help" option which leads to a page which mentions that these parameters may be useful to prevent random crashes.

Not 'noapci nolapci'. You mistyped them. Did you mistype them only in the forum or in the installer command line ?
p.H

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-07-31 00:18

That system while spec poor could still be made to run perfectly fine. Just not so much by the OP. Wasnt anything like willing to dump all the time/effort trying to explain what's involved. Testing a target system with live session has been good practice since there's been such a thing as computer systems and live sessions. A person also gets access to all the cmds and software included on such a live media too.

Was a wee bit of a jerk in this thread but could've said much worse. Op installed an end-of-life gnu/nix Os onto some poor neighbors hardware, handed it back and basically told them it'll be a good paper weight ? Go get that pc back and make/show some meaningful effort to do it right!!!! Now OP ... go do that now! :)

Ps, google stuff like "install linux on old computers." Etc etc etc.
Deb-fan

Postby Frostsnow » 2020-07-31 00:32

p.H wrote:Not 'noapci nolapci'. You mistyped them. Did you mistype them only in the forum or in the installer command line ?

Most likely only on the forum.

Deb-fan wrote:That sysyem while spec poor could still be made to run perfectly fine. Just not so much by the OP. Wasnt anything like willing to dump all the time/effort trying to explain what's involved. Testing a target system with live session has been good practice since there's been such a thing as computer systems and live sessions. A person also gets access to all the cmds and software included on such a live media too.

Was a wee bit of a jerk in this thread but could've said much worse. Op installed an end-of-life gnu/nix Os onto some poor neighbors hardware, handed it back and basically told them it'll be a good paper weight ? Go get that pc back and make/show some meaningful effort to do it right!!!! Now OP ... go do that now! :)

Ps, google stuff like "install linux on old computers." Etc etc etc.

Thanks fam, but I've got plenty of other programming work to do :). The task was supposed to take 30 minutes and ended being numerous hours over multiple days.
Frostsnow

Previous

Return to Installation