Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

(newbie) debootstrap error... driving me insane

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
craenos

(newbie) debootstrap error... driving me insane

#1 Post by craenos »

Having trouble installing Debian... I'm a complete newbie to Linux and Debian, and this repeated error is driving me nuts...

I tried installing it first of all when it starts up press F1 or ENTER... If I pressed Enter after Scanning CD-Rom it went to a blue screen and I couldnt type anything in...

I read somewhere on the forums to run it with the expert26 command which I did and it seemed to get further...

Now when I try to detect hardware I get...

Unable to load some modules
Linux kernel modules needed to drive some of your hardware are not available yet. Simply proceeding with the install may make these modules available later.

The unavailable modules and the devices that need them are:

agpgart (Nvidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?))
8139too (Accton Technology Corporation SMC2-1211TX)
ne2k-pci (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS))
r8169 (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet)
ide-mod (Linux IDE driver)
ide-probe-mod (Linux IDE probe driver)
ide-detect (Linux IDE detection)
ide-floppy (Linux IDE floppy)

so i press continue and it detects and mounts the CD-Rom no worries...

Then it loads the components of the debian installer

I can get to the partition bit no worries

Then I mount the original C: drive as FAT32 with the Mount point as "/" and check it as bootable

Then when I get to the base installer

It seems to install alright up until 20% then gives me the error

The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 1).

I click continue and get

The base system installation into /target/ failed.

I click continue again

And it dumps me back to the option screen again... I check out the console and the last line on it says...

tar: ./usr/share/man/man3/Locale::gettext.3pm.gz: Invalid argument

I read on the forums that the CD might be damaged (Im using the ISO DVD) and the DVD checks out fine without any problems at all...

I also read on the forums somewhere that changing the language might be able to solve it but to no avail..

My question is how do I fix this and install debian? I really really dont want to go back to windows due to constant crap on it that I've got no way of knowing about...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Chris

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

My opinion is that the official Sarge installer has bugs in it. Let's assume that lots of bug reports have been filed since June 6th and the Debian-Installer team has worked through most of them. The current installer ought to be in better shape. I would download the current netinstall snapshot and try again. If that fails, post to the Debian-Boot Mailing List.