Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 with 5.* kernel

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Abormot

Debian 10 with 5.* kernel

#1 Post by Abormot »

I need Buster .iso with at least 5.3 kernel. My CPU can't work with 4.19. So I even can not upgrade kernel, becasue Buster with 4.19 can not be installed.

Did anybody build his own .iso Buster with 5.3 or higher kernel? Can anybody trusted share this .iso with iso?

Deb-fan

Re: Debian 10 with 5.* kernel

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

Head_on_a_stick(one of the purple, spamhunter guys on the forum) has an updated iso in his signature section you can download-try. Includes a newer kernel. Not sure if it also already includes nonfree firmware too. Ordinarily would say its a terrible idea to download software like that but trust Head_on not to do anything malicious to people. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Most CPUs can work with the standard kernel, except maybe newer AMDs. What's troublesome with most is the newer graphics chipsets they may have, which often need a newer Mesa and/or firmware. I don't think HOAS's respin has a newer Mesa or any firmware newer than a year old, because backports hasn't done those yet, but you could let us know what hardware you've got.

The lack of backports is why we did our own for the MX Linux 19.2 "AHS" version, to support newer hardware. So far, it's been quite successful.

Steve "OK, it was my idea, so I'm the Wizard of AHS"
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You don't need to trust me at all — the full source for the ISO build is available on the GitHub page and the image is built by the Travis CI/CD infrastructure, I don't make them myself.

Build log for the current 10.5.0 version is here: https://travis-ci.com/github/Head-on-a- ... wer-buster

EDIT: that version has the kernel from buster-backports (5.6.14-2~bpo10+1), the firmware from sid (2020-06-19) but the buster Mesa packages.

I'll update the image once the 5.7 kernel is available from buster-backports and I could theoretically add a backported Mesa package if there is any demand.
deadbang

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

A newer Mesa usually needs other backports first, such as libva, libdrm, etc., so I hope you're prepared for that. Bullseye's says it also requires llvm-10 for the build, and it and llvm-9 aren't in backports. I think you can tell mesa to use llvm-8 instead, which is in backports, but I don't know if you're losing any features with 8.

You should know that the llvm toolchains are very lengthy builds, and always fail for us MX packagers in pbuilder, but succeed using sbuild instead. We haven't tried builds in virtual machines or real installs--those are last resorts for us now.
MX Linux packager and developer