Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

netinstall and no-ethernet laptop [Solved]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tpprynn

Re: netinstall and no-ethernet laptop

#16 Post by tpprynn »

I have LXDE, yes. For the moment - I put 10.6 on with LXDE so I could use the laptop while waiting for the adapter. When I know everything is feasible I'll wipe this.

It has arrived today and I'm sitting here in front of three computers, all with Debian. Somebody else's Cinnamon-equipped laptop, laptop number 3, works with this adapter, a dm9601 clone. So I just need to work out what's missing, or maybe find the name of the interface that comes about as a result of this adapter? I've forgotten what I knew three or four days ago... I will make a start on the googling oddyssey regarding this, but hopefully if I am bald in a few hours one of you will swing in, in loin cloth, and dangle some clues - I'm getting Tarzan and Poirot mixed up now but anyway - or simply slap me out of what will be my misery by then and provide a/ the solution. But I am happy to struggle for ninety minutes or so.

Ooh. I think I have a usb drive with Deb/Cinn on, that might be a good start, might discover at least the interface name, he said doubtfully. The dm9601 module is present though in what I have on the ethernet-free laptop.

Still, at least the adapter works, that's got to be about 1/20th of the battle.

tpprynn

#17 Post by tpprynn »

I should have guessed - it's the classic 'enx00e04c534458' interface.

brian_p

#18 Post by brian_p »

> ...I put 10.6 on with LXDE...

task-lxde-desktop does not install network manager. You have encountered
Bug #694068:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=694068

If anyone wants to avoid it, then start the installer with

Code: Select all

netcfg/target_network_config=ifupdown
on the command line; (press TAB before booting).

Completely obvious of course :) .
--
Brian.

tpprynn

Re: netinstall and no-ethernet laptop [Solved]

#19 Post by tpprynn »

The adaptor route worked out well - after installing and rebooting it was recognised enabling me to install Fluxbox and get my bearings from there. I probably wouldn't have felt like proceeding if I hadn't already identified the interface name from the live Cinnamon/Debian usb drive, bunt unlike with the LXDE install the ethernet interface wasn't forgotten after install.

I imagine there would have been more satisfaction from doing this a harder way, with more learning, but learning that there is such a thing as an ethernet to usb adaptor that works is still learning...

As is witnessing the improved performance of this emmc-type machine after foregoing Cinnamon. Seem to have added a potential couple of hours or more to battery life and my aesthetic bugbear, gtk3, is nowhere in sight on this install. For quite a few years of going back and forth between Windows and Linux the presentation of most distros had been offputting for me, and now I find this basic look and behaviour ideal.

Thanks for all help and prodding vis a vis independent efforts. I hope this thread proves of use to somebody even if my efforts have been a bit chaotic, hence this step up to the camera in Jerry Springer summation style.