after installation:"fsckd-cancel-msg" and no further

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

after installation:"fsckd-cancel-msg" and no further

Postby utonsal » 2020-10-09 16:26

hello,

This is about a problem of mine turning up just after having "installed" a system and then booting.

I twice installed Debian 10.6 from USB-flash with the DVD-image. For this I partitioned the harddrive with partman during the installation process of the installer. The first time manually (individually), the second time the guided way.
Both times the boot process stopped just before the graphics appears.

What I see, after starting the PC is:
1. error outputs due to hardware devices not recognized etc.
2. /dev/sda1 is told to be "clean". (there are several partitions and the system is on /dev/sda2).
3.Then it says "kvm disabled by bios", later "uvcvideo: Failed to query(129) UVC probe control: -32 (exp.26)"
4. "fsckd-cancel-msg:Press Ctrl+C to cancel all filesystem checks in progress"
5.Then something about a Journal and the usual system programs started, the last being "starting Gnome Display Manager" or so.
6.Now the screen changes, a black screen with a pointer is seen. Then it aborts, comes back and the message from 4. is seen. Pressing the combination doesn't help.

Well, I searched a bit through the web, and these errors seem to appear in different booting situaitions because of different reasons and not specially after installation. It is often said, that a filesystem is corrupt. However, pressing Ctrl+C mostly doesn't help.

What further irritates me, is that in /var/log/syslog it says:
"Oct 5 17:35:19 pirol systemd[1]: systemd-fsckd.service: Succeeded."
, which is a record from the time, where the problem was already there..

Now, is this the right information to give to people helping me?
utonsal

Re: after installation:"fsckd-cancel-msg" and no further

Postby p.H » 2020-10-09 17:26

Graphic driver or firmware issue when starting GDM. This has nothing to do with fsck.
p.H

Postby sunrat » 2020-10-09 21:06

Agree with p.H. Post details of your graphics hardware if you need further help.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby utonsal » 2020-11-02 14:32

ok. This might be.

But: why is this form of error then reported? This is really irritating for people, who don't really understand, what's happening. I think, error messages should be as broadly as possible understandable.

greetings

P.S.: I take my time working on this problem. Don't be irritated, if I don't reply for some weeks. I will read your answers in any case and continue working on this problem.
utonsal

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-11-04 17:22

utonsal wrote:why is this form of error then reported?

That error just happens to be the last you see because the display stops working afterwards. The graphical errors are recorded in the logs.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby p.H » 2020-11-07 07:16

utonsal wrote:But: why is this form of error then reported

What error ? The fsckd-cancel-msg message is not an error.
p.H

Postby utonsal » 2020-11-11 13:11

1. As I wrote in my first post, there are a lot of other messages (nr.5 in my post) which appear after the fsckd-message (nr.4), though nr.4 appears again after gdm failing. Thus I (and I suppose other users) interpret message nr.4 as the source of the problem because I expect the last message concerning either the last successfull operation or the program having difficulties.
I discovered also that the first messages are colored grey, while the messages nr.5 are white, nr.4 being the last of the grey messages. Is this correlation meaningful?

2. graphics hardware:
is "VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV516/M64 [Mobility Radeon X2300]" a valid response? It got it trough "lspci"-command.
utonsal

Postby p.H » 2020-11-11 17:10

Try to install firmware-amd-graphics.
p.H

Return to Installation