Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NIC not recognized?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Carlosinfl

NIC not recognized?

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

Ok, so I boot from the "etch" net install disk and start to load the bare system on my machine. Once that is done, it spat out my Debian disk and rebooted and welcomes me to my new Debian system for set-up. I then select a root password and a user account.

Everything seems smooth as can be however I run into a problem.

I select HTTP for apt sources but no matter what I select I get an error of some sort that says it can reach the server I selected and I get the list over.

No matter what server I select, same error. I then ctl-alt-f3 for a cli prompt and run the ifconfig command and see nothing. Then I run the ifconfig -a and see "eth0" but there is no IP.

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

I booted then from Gnoppix live CD 1.0 and I had internet w/ no problem.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Using PCI network card or motherboard on-board circuitry? If PCI card, then do lspci -vv > ~/foo.txt, examine ~/foo.txt for a section called Ethernet Controller and paste that section to the forum.

Do ping -c 5 forums.debian.net You should get five lines of output, and a summary at the bottom that says 5 packets transmitted, 5 received. All I want to know is: were all five packets received or not?

#3 Post by Guest »

Harold,

I am using an onboard NIC with my EPOX board.

Here is my motherboard Link

I know the NIC works depsite the reviews as Gnoppix and Knoppix both get internet.

Carlosinfl

#4 Post by Carlosinfl »

Ok, I think the NIC is recignized but for some reason is not auto configured so would like help on how to config the NIC tro work in my home LAN.

Carlosinfl

#5 Post by Carlosinfl »

I ran a command "dhclient" and that did something that basically auto assigned by machine a IP address from my router. I don't know why I had to do so but it worked.

Carlosinfl

#6 Post by Carlosinfl »

Ok,

I notice that when I give the "dhclient" command, I am assigned an IP to my Linux machine. I then rebooted just to see how the system would come back online and sure enough, I had no IP when I came back up.

I had to run a "dhclient" command again to bring my system back online for some reason.

Can someone tell me how I can set up my "eth0" with the same static LAN ip in case I need to reboot the server remote.

I have never seen this before.

pigah

#7 Post by pigah »

edit your /etc/network/interfaces file. it may have a sample, but if not, here is my static ip on a router:

Code: Select all

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.15.145
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.15.255
        gateway 192.168.15.1
        dns-nameservers 24.25.5.53 24.25.5.52
Just for general edification, you can dump all the info and change "static" to "dhcp" for auto address assignment. See also the man pages for "interfaces"

pigah

#8 Post by pigah »

oh, your /etc/network/interfaces should also have the line

Code: Select all

auto lo eth0
so that your interface is brought up automatically