Booting from netinst CD

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Booting from netinst CD

Postby ckosloff » 2020-11-30 18:53

I burned a bootable netinst CD stable version (buster) and installed Debian without probems in an HP laptop.
Now I need to reinstall in a Toshiba laptop and there is no way to boot from CD, I think this is caused by EFI.
Changed boot sequence in BIOS but computer reverts always to the installed OS, I need to bypass this and install from CD.
Since boot priorities are already set in BIOS, I don't know what else to do to force boot from CD.
ckosloff

Re: Booting from netinst CD

Postby arochester » 2020-11-30 19:10

Which model of Toshiba laptop?

On my Toshiba Portege R600 on the Toshiba startup page there are icons along the bottom e.g. representing CD-ROM or USB. I can move from one icon to another by using the arrow keys.
arochester

Postby ckosloff » 2020-11-30 22:19

It is a Satellite C75D.
Very few explanations, it doesn't even tell you which key to press at startup to boot into BIOS, I had to figure out it's F2.
Secure boot is disabled, since the CD is not working I could try to boot into netinst from a USB stick.
In that case, I might need to start another thread: How to make a USB stick with the netinst ISO image?
I love the CD because it has the option to boot into rescue mode and that is very useful because it has a shell that allows me to fix problems from a command line, don't know if USB stick has that capability.
ckosloff

Postby RU55EL » 2020-12-01 01:42

From Debian CD frequently asked questions:

How do I write a CD/DVD/BD image to a USB flash drive?
RU55EL

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-12-01 14:57

ckosloff wrote:Secure boot is disabled

Debian buster supports Secure Boot.

ckosloff wrote:I love the CD because it has the option to boot into rescue mode and that is very useful because it has a shell that allows me to fix problems from a command line, don't know if USB stick has that capability

Yes, it does.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Installation