Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Booting from UEFI not detecting installed drive

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
PsySc0rpi0n

Booting from UEFI not detecting installed drive

#1 Post by PsySc0rpi0n »

Hello.

I'm trying to install Debian 10 using netinst image of about 340Mb. But after install Debian in UEFI mode and reboot, there is no sign of my new SSD.

Ok, now more into detail.
I have a Clevo P170EM and I just bought a new SSD. Samsung 860 EVO (500Gb).
If I do this using normal mode, everything goes well. However, when I try to change it to UEFI mode, and install the same Debian image into my new SSD, and after I restart the laptop, I get into BIOS menu again. And when I check for my SSD, I can't see any signs of it.

Do I need to use any special image of Debian to be able to install in UEFI mode?
If needed, I can put here some screenshots of my BIOS available options.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Edited;

Adding to that, when I install in normal mode, I get a prompt asking where to install the grub. But I don't get the same prompt when I try to install in UEFI mode.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Booting from UEFI not detecting installed drive

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

PsySc0rpi0n wrote:after install Debian in UEFI mode and reboot, there is no sign of my new SSD
That's a bit vague. What exactly happens when you start the computer after installing Debian? What do you see? Where and how are you looking to find your new SSD?

If you just mean that the new Debian system won't boot and that you can't see a Debian option in the firmware ("BIOS") boot menu then your machine's UEFI implementation might be faulty — some do not "remember" new NVRAM boot entries, some will only boot entries that are marked as "trusted" and some will only boot EFI loaders that follow Microsoft's (non-standard) nomenclature.

See https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloade ... ive-naming for more on this.
PsySc0rpi0n wrote:Do I need to use any special image of Debian to be able to install in UEFI mode?
No.
PsySc0rpi0n wrote:when I install in normal mode, I get a prompt asking where to install the grub. But I don't get the same prompt when I try to install in UEFI mode
That is the expected behaviour.
deadbang