Install Debian on Chromebook

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Re: Install Debian on Chromebook

Postby Retired CSM » 2021-01-06 22:03

I formatted my SD card as ext4, reinserted the card, and ran:

chronos@localhost / $ sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -r buster -t kde
sh: 0: Refusing to exec /home/chronos/user/Downloads/crouton from noexec mount; see https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... scripts.md

You can see that I still have the same problem. I read the document that the shell referred me to, it didn't make any sense to me.
Retired CSM

Postby sgosnell » 2021-01-06 23:15

The only important part of that page is at the very bottom, where it says to follow the updated instructions here: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/blob/HEAD/README.md That's about all I can tell you. Assuming you did put your chromebook into developer mode, read it all again. Some may not be relevant, such as the encryption option, but only you can decide that. Do not bother with other sites and tutorials, because they are probably well out of date. I haven't run crouton in a few years, and certainly not since the latest updates. Google keeps changing things, perhaps to deter this use of the chromebook, perhaps not. But be prepared to learn to change things regularly. That's one of the downsides of Google - they cannot make up their minds about anything, and change important parts of their systems on a regular basis.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.
sgosnell

Postby Retired CSM » 2021-01-07 15:53

I have read that document a couple of times and don't really understand what it is trying to tell me.

Thanks for your help and patience. I will keep working at this (it has become a challenge I can't give in to). I think I am going back to step one and do a powerwash and set up developer's mode one more time.

Thanks again and stay healthy.
Retired CSM

Postby Retired CSM » 2021-01-08 17:02

Eureka! Yesterday afternoon I stumbled upon the solution. The trick is to use "sudo crouton -t kde -r buster -n debian". Simple, eh!

Phil - an especial thanks to you.
Retired CSM

Previous

Return to Installation