Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Shortcut for installing Buster over an Ubuntu installation?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
HippoPotamus

Shortcut for installing Buster over an Ubuntu installation?

#1 Post by HippoPotamus »

I am running Ubuntu 20 and want to switch to the latest Debian 10 release. I know how to back up my current important files, install Debian 10 from ISO, and then restore the backed-up files.

However, I'm wondering if there might be some sort of shortcut involving apt or perhaps some other utility that would allow me to go directly from Ubuntu 20 to Debian 10 without going through the full installation procedure.

I'm not optimistic about this being possible, but I want to ask here, just in case there might be some way to accomplish this.

Thank you very much in advance.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shortcut for installing Buster over an Ubuntu installati

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

No.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

mm3100

#3 Post by mm3100 »

I have never used it, but there is a tool for something like that called Debootstrap. Could be fun experiment for you if you wanted to try it.
You can find more about it here

https://packages.debian.org/buster/debootstrap
https://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap

Edit: I wouldn't really call it shortcut tho, as it creates only base Debian.

sgosnell

#4 Post by sgosnell »

Your system is entirely Ubuntu packages. The only possible shortcut that I'm aware of is installing Debian from an installation disk, and formatting the HDD in the process. Be aware that Ubuntu is based on Debian Sid (Unstable), so the software in Debian Buster (Stable) is far behind what you're using now. Debian Stable is a wonderful OS for productions servers which must work all the time, with no issues. It's not so great as a personal desktop system, and IMO Sid is a better choice. But not everyone agrees with me.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

HippoPotamus

#5 Post by HippoPotamus »

Thanks to all. It looks like I will just need to do the full HDD-reformat-based ISO install, after all.

Debootstrap indeed looks interesting, but it doesn't replace my OS with the one it installs; rather, it just sets up a chroot jail with the second OS. I will definitely play with this in the future, but it isn't accomplishing what I want to do now.

As for going back to a somewhat earlier version, that's OK with me. I just want to get out of the Ubuntu world, and I know I can get Debian working the way I want.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

The funnest way would be to setup qemu/kvm and build your debian replacement in a vm to match as close as you like , and then figure out how to swap disk!

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

CwF wrote:then figure out how to swap disk
It's actually pretty simple, I've done that with MX Linux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mo ... ut_of_a_VM

And for installing Debian with debootstrap see https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 03.en.html
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:It's actually pretty simple
Yes it is. Thanks for a link.

I got docks, build them in ram, then write to a disk pass the disk, boot from it..They all run in any mode, well a few don't. Debian is easily set up to boot wherever it finds itself.