Debian Buster Budgie install no desktop config. (Bug?)

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Debian Buster Budgie install no desktop config. (Bug?)

Postby globetrotterdk » 2021-01-09 10:33

I have installed Debian Buster, with only the Budgie desktop on a laptop, by installing the base system from netinstall, with no WM / DE. On reboot, I installed what I believed necessary for my system. Unfortunately, I missed something, but don't know what. I am not able to set a background image on the Budgie desktop, nor am I able to view icons of files that I have placed in the "desktop" folder. on the desktop. I am however, able to set a background color. What am I missing? Here is my basic install on reboot:
Code: Select all
$ sudo apt -y install xorg x11-xserver-utils budgie-core budgie-desktop network-manager-gnome gnome-control-center gnome-screensaver gnome-terminal nautilus dconf-editor pavucontrol

There were a lot of dependencies that were pulled in, but clearly something needs to be installed.

----

This may or may not be related, but I have tried to use dconf editor and go into /org/gnome/desktop/background/ and activate "show-desktop-icons" both without and with gnome-flashback installed, but I never get any desktop icons either.

I also tried the following suggested in this thread, but it didn't help either:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/jqtq15/budgie_desktop_for_fedora_33/

$ sudo apt install nemo
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false
xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search

I also created ~/.config/autostart/nemo-desktop.desktop with the following content:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=nemo-desktop
Hidden=false
NoDisplay=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name=Nemo Desktop

It seems to me, after having tried all of these different things, that there is something broken in the Budgie Desktop. Whether this is a bug or some content not included, and whether this is only related to the Budgie Desktop shipped by Debian, someone with more insight than I will need to determine.

——

I just messaged with one of the Solus Budgie developers. He wrote that they have a package called gnome-desktop that is responsible for setting the desktop. It isn’t to be found in the Debian Buster version.

The actual reply is:

The background is just set using gnome-desktop which provides the Gnome.BG interface, as well as Meta.BackgroundContent from Mutter, and we use the standard org.gnome.desktop.background schema.

https://github.com/solus-project/budgie-desktop/blob/master/src/wm/background.vala#L83

You probably need whatever their equivalent package name is.
Thanks again JoshStrobl.

I next tried installing gnome-core, which added the desktop background switching, but also added too much of the Gnome desktop, as Budgie was no longer to be found as a separate entity, with separate behavior. Looks like someone didn’t package all of the necessary bits for the Budgie Desktop.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
globetrotterdk

Return to Installation