Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No graphical logon screen after install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Kerlaugar

No graphical logon screen after install

#1 Post by Kerlaugar »

Hello all,

I just installed Debian Testing on a system. Installation seemed successful, but I do not end up in a graphical logon screen. I installed LXQT instead of Gnome (there were some missing firmware warnings, but I think only WiFi/Bluetooth related).

The boot process ends with

[OK] Started Simple Desktop Display Manager
[OK] Started Authorization Manager

And then, it simply does nothing and these are the last entries that show up on the screen. The system also doesn't provide a commandline interface (no prompt anyway). I don't think anything went wrong during the installation. I expected that installing LXQT would also result in the installation of all components to enable a graphical interface, including a login manager.

I can login using SSH, so that works. Are there specific log files I should check? Or should I still install a graphical login manager or switch it on or so?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: No graphical logon screen after install

#2 Post by CwF »

Check all the tty's <Ctrl><ALT><F1> thru F7

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions thread in the HowTo section.
deadbang

Kerlaugar

#4 Post by Kerlaugar »

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies!

Indeed, I should've read the FAQ in the howto section, because that was spot on. I missed that in my search, so I need to search more thoroughly next time (and perhaps always start with the FAQ). Anyway, I now have the required non-free drivers and the system is up and running.

Thanks!