Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dimensioning of the SWAP space

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
MicroScreen

Dimensioning of the SWAP space

#1 Post by MicroScreen »

After trying for a while to find as much information as possible about setting up and dimensioning a swap partition, the question still arises for me, according to which criteria it must be designed? I am not interested in the traditional rules of thumb, but only in a technically sound explanation. I'm really curious whether someone can conclusively answer this question. :)
"Move forward and do what you think is best. If you make a mistake, you’ll learn something. But don't make the same mistake twice." - Akio Morita

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dimensioning of the SWAP space

#2 Post by CwF »

There should not be one formula. There is the purpose of the machine that through past iterations some generalities should be known, since rarely is this question starting from scratch!

Recognize that the common-sense idea that swap is for when you run out of memory isn't the only reason it exist. While maybe an original reason, generous systems now have plenty of ram and those past examples show swap is still used. Your experience with those past examples show when particular applications are arranged to use it. Past examples of uptime should give you a hint of the amount of stale memory that may be kept in swap. With extended uptime and activity you may observe variable use and the fact swap use does go down with time, not just up, so something is thinking. All things equal, 'pressure' settings can push the used amount one way or the other with little demonstrable difference in performance. This may come down to preference, shaped by experience, like I said, of your past examples.

Realize there are types we can argue about, and amounts to stress over, and applicable use case. Overall, there should be some form of swap. The details are negotiable.

MicroScreen

#3 Post by MicroScreen »

CwF wrote:There should not be one formula. There is the purpose of the machine that through past iterations some generalities should be known, since rarely is this question starting from scratch! Recognize that the common-sense idea that swap is for when you run out of memory isn't the only reason it exist. While maybe an original reason, generous systems now have plenty of ram and those past examples show swap is still used. Realize there are types we can argue about, and amounts to stress over, and applicable use case. Overall, there should be some form of swap. The details are negotiable.
Thanks for your opinion, I think we are getting a lot closer to the truth. At the same time it confirms several of my assumptions that the size of my RAM is not the only factor in this question, but also the memory management of various applications, as well as the amount of data processed play a decisive role.
Which tools make it possible to monitor my system most effectively, especially with regard to swapping, during runtime? Can you recommend something for that? :)
"Move forward and do what you think is best. If you make a mistake, you’ll learn something. But don't make the same mistake twice." - Akio Morita

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Code: Select all

free -h # static measurement
grep pswp /proc/vmstat # record of swap usage
deadbang

MicroScreen

#5 Post by MicroScreen »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

free -h # static measurement
grep pswp /proc/vmstat # record of swap usage
Thanks for your help, free is one of the hot topics in this matter, I was just exploring the possibilities of such programs. Beside free I also found two other programs: top and sync, which can also be very useful. There is also a lot of reading material in the man pages that I will take a closer look at. :D

I think it will definitely be able to find the most suitable settings for my system.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

Since I've never figured out what I'm missing I use XFCE. So I have a minimize to 'Notification Area' instance of xfce4-taskmanager that gives me a nice hover message of user memory and swap usage. I may have a genmon watching something from time to time on setups where that info isn't the full story. With root rights "swapon" gives a snapshot that is meaningful to glance at at the right times. Once settled, you don't really need to watch it.

As important as the use case of the machine is the status of the activity, stable or experimental. A stable machine is one where the judgement is already in and we don't expect anything to get out of whack. Unused swap of that machine is a waste. On a testing machine things may go wrong. With a large swap available an errant process might be contained, maybe not, but more space could save you.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Use earlyoom to constrain runaway memory hogs. Fedora now include it in their default package list while they're waiting for the kernel to improve it's OOM management.
deadbang

MicroScreen

#8 Post by MicroScreen »

CwF wrote:Since I've never figured out what I'm missing I use XFCE. So I have a minimize to 'Notification Area' instance of xfce4-taskmanager that gives me a nice hover message of user memory and swap usage. I may have a genmon watching something from time to time on setups where that info isn't the full story. With root rights "swapon" gives a snapshot that is meaningful to glance at at the right times. Once settled, you don't really need to watch it.

As important as the use case of the machine is the status of the activity, stable or experimental. A stable machine is one where the judgement is already in and we don't expect anything to get out of whack. Unused swap of that machine is a waste. On a testing machine things may go wrong. With a large swap available an errant process might be contained, maybe not, but more space could save you.
The plan is for the initial installation to be 'stable', as this creates a more secure starting point. In order to avoid unused SWAP space, I consider it essential to critically monitor the memory requirement right from the start. XFCE is at least an option for me too, in order to guarantee the leanest possible installation, I also thought of LXDE, it is modern and stylish. I will also take a very close look at the swapon and swapoff commands and read the respective descriptions. If there are also suitable plugins for the desktop, it will quickly become clear what is most practical.

What I was able to find out in the meantime is that Linux generally has a completely different memory management than, for example, Windows. The kernel alone constantly outsources its cash as required, depending on other factors, of course. Data is swapped out at a very early stage, long before the RAM could theoretically become full. The more I/O movements take place and the more different the files are, the sooner the swapping begins. It also pays to look out for the /proc/meminfo file, which can be quite instructive. There are also pagetables that store and record a lot of information during such processes. In the end, everything together gives an overall picture of data traffic in a system. :)

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

After you have your system running the way you want it, look up swappiness.
Swappiness is a Linux kernel property that sets the balance between swapping out pages from the physical memory to the swap space and removing pages from the page cache. It basically defines how often the system will use the swap space.
Depending on your system and what you do with it changing swappiness may be worth adjusting.

MicroScreen

#10 Post by MicroScreen »

Bulkley wrote:Depending on your system and what you do with it changing swappiness may be worth adjusting.
Thanks for the hint, as far as I was able to find out, the value for the swappiness is first set automatically by the system, but it can then be adjusted if everything is stable and the first results are available. In most of the new machines, the hardware is so large that the swappiness is usually too high; a reduction from 60 to 40, for example, makes sense here. The basic concept behind this is obviously to keep the number of data movements between cash and various mass storage devices to a minimum. A series of specific tests should provide information about various changes in performance. Let's see if I can find a suitable benchmark program for it beforehand.

One of my ideas for such tests with as many I/O movements as possible would be to perform a backup of several data carriers simultaneously to one of the HDDs while a benchmark test is running. I can then compare the results with the various recordings that can be found in the files already mentioned. It will certainly take a while before one can say with certainty that things are really going well.

But it will be fun to explore a virgin machine that I have built myself - no stress, no fear of losing data, no unsolvable problems! :D

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by p.H »

MicroScreen wrote:In order to avoid unused SWAP space
What's wrong with unused swap space ? Disk space is cheap.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

MicroScreen wrote:swappiness
I've had this argument with Jessie from DistroWatch but that doesn't do what you think:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=231265

tl;dr: the value controls how the swap is used rather than when the kernel starts to use swap.
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by CwF »

MicroScreen wrote: tests with as many I/O movements as possible would be to perform a backup of several data carriers simultaneously to one of the HDDs while a benchmark test is running
This hints at a variable - What SCALE are we talking here. 'One' of the drives is exactly right, could be many! I can tell you for sure at large scale - with virtual machines as workers - you can bring a 'task' to it's knees and elsewhere in the same system - NOT NOTICE! For me 'large' starts at 2-4 cores with nothing to do out of 16+ and memory >64GB, with storage to match - that is an OS on an ssd all by itself and another handful of drives dedicated to purpose.

In my 'not-unanimous' opinion when the scale is large enough there is no need for a traditional swap partition or swap file at all. Instead, only zramswap. Every 'big' machine I've built doing similar jobs maintains a similar amount of swap over it's uptime. With uptimes of 6 months plus, I see a few hundred MB's with spikes to a few gigs. When swap total is 5GB, free memory is still that much or larger. Whether that is a swap partition, as in my 'stetch' examples, or only zramswap in my bullseye testing - it makes no difference.
Hence my only general advice
Overall, there should be some form of swap. The details are negotiable.
For a compromise 'buster', a little of both;

#  swapon
NAME        TYPE      SIZE   USED PRIO
/dev/dm-2   partition 4.6G 689.7M   -2
/dev/zram0  partition 128M  46.7M  100
/dev/zram1  partition 128M  48.4M  100
/dev/zram2  partition 128M  48.7M  100
/dev/zram3  partition 128M  50.3M  100
/dev/zram15 partition 128M  48.9M  100
#  uptime
 08:08:48 up 110 days, 23:38,  2 users,  load average: 0.86, 0.92, 0.90
on a stretch;

#  uptime
 08:10:08 up 61 days, 17:35,  3 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.60, 0.61
#  swapon
NAME      TYPE      SIZE USED PRIO
/dev/dm-1 partition 7.6G 326M   -1
No buslleye up right now, but roughly the same demonstrated so far, except ONLY zramswap (~12 GB)

That buster above had a runaway a few weeks ago and it ran up to a 42+ load average at 6GB of swap. Now all calm. As seen above, there is a swap partition, it did fill in minutes, I did notice. If all was zramswap it would have swapped the same volume in seconds.

So I've upped the total swap and changed its form over the generations. On swappiness, it is the 'pressure' I mentioned and will push more or less to swap. The craze has been 10-20. Lower is better for less swapping to an actual disc, higher is better to move the stale to zramswap, freeing memory. With modern processors capable of paralleling ALL the swap action, you won't notice the zramswap activity. I would leave it alone until after you've seen some uptime, 30 is about right for me.

So on the negotiable aspects, I lied. My rules are simple - but maybe not universal. Swap Partitions are archaic and no longer needed. Swap Files are a substitute without any real advantage. Zramswap rocks. And yes, you need something! Swappiness=0 with nothing works fine until it doesn't. I run some vm's like that but with a trick - they have unallocated memory to add when they lock up tight, and they do unfreeze and continue like nothing happened. Not easily possible on bare metal.

Builds an a smaller scale will often produce edge cases where advice is not so straight forward. Once you can create an 8core 32GB VM with dedicated storage with that or more to spare on the host, resource contention simply doesn't happen. I consider that level of VM to be 'large' in itself, maybe a nested hypervisor or graphics/media application or some game station, and enough for any one job I encounter. I don't run any that big very often.

Regardless, sounds like fun is happening!

MicroScreen

#14 Post by MicroScreen »

p.H wrote:What's wrong with unused swap space ? Disk space is cheap.
As a system administrator in a company, you can perhaps take this point of view, but not if you want to operate your machine as efficiently as possible! :roll:

MicroScreen

#15 Post by MicroScreen »

CwF wrote:So on the negotiable aspects, I lied. My rules are simple - but maybe not universal. Swap Partitions are archaic and no longer needed. Swap Files are a substitute without any real advantage. Zramswap rocks. And yes, you need something! Swappiness=0 with nothing works fine until it doesn't. I run some vm's like that but with a trick - they have unallocated memory to add when they lock up tight, and they do unfreeze and continue like nothing happened. Not easily possible on bare metal.
Basically, there are always different opinions on this, all of which have one thing in common, namely the differences in hardware, software and configurations in various applications. I bet that very few of them are actually operated in the most optimal way. The discussion about whether and how much swap-space is needed at all mostly goes in the wrong direction. This also means that the individual terms are not always assigned correctly, as you can see from some of the reactions here.

To all of you!
So again, for a better understanding, what I want to know about my machine is what Linux and the installed kernel do with regard to the entire memory management, nothing else. I had deliberately avoided terms like 'swap partition', 'swap file' and other forms of swapping, because I didn't want to be pinned down in any direction. That's why I only use the abstract term 'Swap Space'. For me the adventure begins exactly where the kernel begins to fill its own cash in RAM in order to outsource data of any kind. 'Swappiness' plays the very last role in this scenario, so it is only readjusted after sufficient measurements, if at all.

What I have learned in the meantime, however, is that Linux and its memory management consider RAM and the assigned swap space as an organic unit and therefore treats it that way, no matter how large or small a machine is. This has consequences for the entire data traffic in a computer. In addition, there is also an extremely complex feedback from the installed mass storage devices, since these also have cash storage, which is also taken into account here. My machine should run optimally from the start, how the data flow changes through various settings is the main subject of my measurements. Hence the title of this thread is: Dimensioning of the SWAP space!

I am neither a gamer nor a philosopher, but more of a 'researcher' and as such I will dive deeply into the matter. 8)

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#16 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Generally, swap storage space is just a nightmare - it is slow like hell, and You should avoid to use swap memory at all costs (unless You have no choice). If You can't increase RAM capacity to suit Your needs, better limit the number of programs that are running simultaneously.
(btw I think that lowering the vm.swapiness is the first thing to do, no matter if it's a server or a desktop PC)

Swap memory means nothing but problems - low speed of swap memory is the least problematic factor - real problems are starting in case of time-critical or real-time applications.

Swap memory has just one purpose: to protect the system from triggering the OOM Killer.

Swap partitions: don't create swap partitions, unless You have a server with a dedicated raid-based swap storage system: better use sparse files as a swap.
Sparse swap files are flexible: i.e. You can adjust their size without re-partitioning of the drive.
Side effect is, that when You have a single Raid array for a /root directory, You can put a swap file on it, assuring that the swap space also has a redundancy, without creating a dedicated Raid for swap memory. Having a Raid system for /root without having redundant swap storage makes no sense - swap storage failure means unavoidable crash of the OS.

Swap capacity:
Yes, there's no formula for that, but assuming that swap memory is used only in emergency situations, its size should be chosen to match maximum amount of memory expected to be used by all the applications that are supposed to run simultaneously, decreased by the RAM size.

In typical cases (desktop), a swap space of 2..4GB should be more than enough - in case of servers, better buy 64...256 Gigs of ECC RAM ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by CwF »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: Swap memory has just one purpose: to protect the system from triggering the OOM Killer.
Observable, this is obviously false.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Gigs of ECC RAM ;)
This is true! Gigs good...and ECC should be standard.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by p.H »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:You should avoid to use swap memory at all costs
You cannot be more wrong.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Swap memory has just one purpose: to protect the system from triggering the OOM Killer.
You cannot be more wrong again.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:use sparse files as a swap
Sparse files cannot be used as swap. The kernel needs to map all the swap space to the underlying block device. Of course this is not possible with a sparse file which does not have allocated blocks for all its space. Swap files are a dirty hack which does not work with all files and filesystems.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:Having a Raid system for /root without having redundant swap storage makes no sense
At least one true statement.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:when You have a single Raid array for a /root directory, You can put a swap file on it, assuring that the swap space also has a redundancy, without creating a dedicated Raid for swap
You can also use a partitioned array, or LVM logical volumes over the RAID array.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by CwF »

p.H wrote:Sparse files cannot be used as swap
Actually I believe my advocated 'zramswap' is sparse!
...and yes, it's swap!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#20 Post by p.H »

CwF wrote:'zramswap' is sparse!
Yes, but it is a block device, not a file. The zram block device driver allocates blocks on demand (and deallocates on discard). In a sparse file, the filesystem layer is in charge of block allocation, but the kernel by-passes the filesystem layer when using a swap file.