Lightdm failed clean install on EMPTY drive

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Lightdm failed clean install on EMPTY drive

Postby Jessedavid4 » 2021-02-01 03:47

To give you a little background. I have, for the last week, tried to install debian, 400 times, using 5 different flash drivers, 50 different partitions, changed out hardware, using different distributions of debian, and have practically gone brain dead trying to find the issue on the internet.

Also PS, to whatever admin/mod out there. It took 50 of my friends over 1 week to help me figure out the captcha that you have for creating account. This post is me after getting one that bugged out and allowed me to create one. I promise, elon musk couldn't solve the captcha problems you have to create an account for this forum. You really should try and fix it, I am not even joking. It is so bad. 1 week later I get into these forums.

Anywho... Lightdm failed, I get the code "Active: Code=exit, code=1/FAILED". Thats after running systemctl status. <<<<<

I haven't been able to get into a graphical user interface with any debian 10.7 install for the last week. Probably spent 100 hours in total figuring out what the issue is. There is no answer on this god forsaken internet.

I have tried to reinstall lightdm. I have tried to install gnomedm3. I tried to use every possible fix and nothing works. I cannot get into debian. I swear that something is seriously wrong in this situation. Any way to fix this would be most appreciated. If I can't figure out how to fix it on my computer, I will legit hire someone that wrote the code for debian to fix it. And I will probably pay him my life savings.

Anyways. Let me know if you can help!
Jessedavid4

Re: Lightdm failed clean install on EMPTY drive

Postby sunrat » 2021-02-01 05:10

What a rant! Almost none of it is relevant to the question you are asking.
Explain exactly what you did and details of your hardware.
Which install image did you use?
UEFI or MBR install?
When did that message appear? How did you run systemctl if your system doesn't boot?

The more info you can give about your process, the more likely it will be that someone may understand what's happening and maybe even be able to offer some help.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-02-01 05:16

Jessedavid4 wrote:Also PS, to whatever admin/mod out there. It took 50 of my friends over 1 week to help me figure out the captcha that you have for creating account. This post is me after getting one that bugged out and allowed me to create one. I promise, elon musk couldn't solve the captcha problems you have to create an account for this forum. You really should try and fix it, I am not even joking. It is so bad. 1 week later I get into these forums.

That's not a bug, it's a feature :mrgreen:

Jessedavid4 wrote:There is no answer on this god forsaken internet.

Did you read the Frequently Asked Questions thread in the HowTo section of the forums?
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Jessedavid4 » 2021-02-01 09:43

Yes, I guess it was ranting. Trying my hardest in life to register for a forum made me titled as heck.

Anyways. I can install debian onto a hard drive no problem. I can get to grub and choose debian and my windows like nothing. So all that is working perfectly fine.

It's when I choose debian in which it doesn't load. I can get into tty1-6 no problemo and exit out whenever I need to. But the log in manager never opens up. Generally I sit there
and try different solutions in which I have browsed all over the internet for and to no avail can I get in. So in other words, and I will put the problem more clearly here.

I can get into debian after grub, but my display manager will not work. I have tried every hard drive I own (5 hard drives) and create partitions. So that is fine. I have tried different versions and
distros of debian and all with the same outcome. Here to really give you more of why its a debian based issue for me. I can run ubuntu. I use budgie and xfce on another 3 computers I have. I can run fedora
just fine as well. So as it is, my issue with debian not working properly.

I suspect is has something to do with my graphics card and the system that isn't allowing the display manager to open up.

So generally the best way I can say it is: "I can get into tty1-6 and run commands. I can change my display manager, update it, purge it, reinstall it and practically edit it as expected with tty1-6"

I am willing to try some commands out, but to let you know, I've tried quite a few. The only reason why I haven't really pastebin anything is the fact that I cannot do such a thing. But I will search for errors if I need to
and will retype code if you need to. At this point, this community may be my only hope.

-Jesse
Jessedavid4

Postby arochester » 2021-02-01 10:06

I can get into debian after grub, but my display manager will not work.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote
Did you read the Frequently Asked Questions thread in the HowTo section of the forums?

Look at this: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974
arochester

Return to Installation