Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

partitioning a harddrive

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
raakken

partitioning a harddrive

#1 Post by raakken »

Hi
I'm going to install debian, and my computer resently crashed(ubuntu and their unstable packages :( ) and som said it would be easyer if I partitioned my harddrive so if anything goes wrong, it's easyer to fix.The hardrive is 200gb, and I have 768mb ram
the only thing i know, is that the swap should be 1 till2 times the size of the ram??
please help
thanks

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

The rule of thumb for swap area applies only to computers that have limited quantities of RAM. 768 Meg is more than the average computer will ever use and, in theory, a swap partition isn't necessary. Having said that, I am told that installing Linux without a swap partition is not advisable because some applications look for swap space and complain if it can't be found. I suggest making a swap partition of between 256 and 512 Meg.

You should make a /home partition. That way you can uninstall and reinstall Linux without destroying your data files. I suggest that this partition be 5 Gig or less.

#3 Post by Guest »

a home partition of 5 gb? what will i do with the rest?
I got these examples from other forums
/ 60gb
swap 768 mb
home the rest..
???
difficult when people don't angree..
thanks for the answeres
keep 'em coming

dawgie

#4 Post by dawgie »

Anonymous wrote:a home partition of 5 gb? what will i do with the rest?
I got these examples from other forums
/ 60gb
swap 768 mb
home the rest..
???
difficult when people don't angree..
thanks for the answeres
keep 'em coming
You might want to leave some unpartitionred space that you could use to experiment with other OSs. It is better to keep your /home partition seperate from your root partition and also have a seperate partition for your data (music, video, ebooks, downloads).

I would go with Harold's suggestion of 5GB for /home, 10GB for /, 1GB swap and 50GB for storage (call it /data or /pub). When you need more storage space, you can create more partitions.

drdebian

#5 Post by drdebian »

For a (mostly) single-user PC, I found using 2 partitions and swapd to be the most useful solution:

Code: Select all

/dev/hda1  /boot  Ext3  132MB
/dev/hda2  /      XFS   Rest of disk
You'll notice the lack of a dedicated swap partition. This is because I'm using swapd on systems with enough memory to dynamically assign swap space as needed. Basically, swapd is what Windows is doing with its swapfile.