Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Buster compatibility problem with new HP 17z laptop

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rrqq

Buster compatibility problem with new HP 17z laptop

#1 Post by rrqq »

I'm trying to install Buster on my new HP laptop with Ryzen 7 4700U CPU. Installation proceed normally, but when graphics is called display crashes with the black screen. On the other hand live Puppy Linux works w/o the problem.
Is it possible to install Debian on my Laptop?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Buster compatibility problem with new HP 17z laptop

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Try this first:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974

But it could be that Buster is too long in the tooth for this hardware. You might be better off going for Bullseye - it's very near release anyway.

Or there is MX Linux AHS.

rrqq

#3 Post by rrqq »

Thank you for help. I'll try this link. Generally, I very much support Debian's policy of not including "non free" software to its main pool. However, if we have been pushed to the wall, by the non friendly vendor, we should have a well documented option to make a choice. It seems that quoted link is a very important one & it should be part of sticky post or part of the documentation (maybe is, but I haven't found it?). Part of doing "Debian way" is the option to make a choice.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

It's from forum documentation FAQs. Index > Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks > Frequently Asked Questions.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

All AMD GPUs have required nonfree firmware for quite a few years. I would say that 99% or more of wi-fi hardware, even with open drivers, also still require some non-free firmware.

Also, I believe those Ryzen graphics need a newer Mesa than you can get in Buster unless you add the MX AHS repo, since it's never been in buster-backports. Go for Bullseye if you want pure Debian.
MX Linux packager and developer