Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Input not transmitted to console

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Kebu

Input not transmitted to console

#1 Post by Kebu »

Hi all,

I installed a Debian Buster on my machine. Unfortunately, I had to use more up to date packages for developpement purpose. Thus, I upgraded to a Bullseye through the apt configuration files and did apt dist-upgrade. Unfortunately, I ended up with a broken console. I am able to type commands in the console but some program are not taking inputs in account. For instance, sudo does not wait for password and exit directly with an error like "A password is required". I have the same behaviour with ssh. Also, I have troubles with some ncurses based programs: strange characters like "[0^" are displayed when I hit arrows instead of navigating in the buttons.

Of course, I could reinstall but I wanted to know what is happening. Here is some informations about my system:
I am using awesome-wm as window manager. Using zsh and sakura for terminal.

Code: Select all

echo $TERM
xterm-256color
Thanks a lot by advance

arid

Re: Input not transmitted to console

#2 Post by arid »

I love it when I randomly, accidentally end up on this forum when I have much better things to do. :mrgreen:

You have performed the most egregious of linux sins.

Wipe your buster install and install bullseye.

Someday you may approach the level of 'Master of Sid' such as I and can successfully make the transition which you have attempted.
There's no drama in my sid......

Kebu

Re: Input not transmitted to console

#3 Post by Kebu »

Yeah I know it's kinda like playing with fire but I did that dist-upgrade trick a couple of times in the past and I did not went into problems like this one. I just wanted to take advantage of this bug on my machine to enhance my knowledge about how console works on Linux :wink: