Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing on HP NetServer LC3 with new SATA RAID fails

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Sander

Installing on HP NetServer LC3 with new SATA RAID fails

#1 Post by Sander »

Hello all,

I'm having serious issues with installing Debian on my server. I got an old server from my work. A HP NetServer LC3 (Dual PII) with a separate Disk Cabinet with it. The Disk Cabinet is far too noisy for my home, so I unplugged it, bought a new Serial ATA RAID PCI card (from Sweex) and a new hard drive (80GB SATA). For the rest, there's also SCSI RAID connectors inside the server itself (no drives attached) and a generic CD-ROM and Floppy drive.

I have two installation media for Debian:

1) A Net Install CD from around february this year.
2) A set if Net Install floppy disks, made today.

When using the CD, the installation process locks up when it tried to load the SCSI module for detecting the CD-ROM. When using the floppies, I skip teh CD-ROM detection (going to do a net install anyway) and the hardware detection locks up when trying to load the megaraid module.

I tried everything I know how to. The SCSI RAID is empty (in the config) and the SATA RAID properly shows my 80 GB HDD as primary HDD. It just keeps locking up on me duroing hardware detection. In the installation help under section F5 (IIRC) at the bottom are two flags that are recommended you use when the hardware detection locks up (noapic and nonapic) but using these made no difference.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on? I managed to install Debian from the CD onto the old Disk Cabinet RAID, but I get zero results now.

Thanks in advance!