Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia drivers installed! Now I have a black screen and...

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.

Nvidia drivers installed! Now I have a black screen and...

#1 Post by Guest »

the computer looks like it has crashed. Doesn't respond to any commands. I have to manually turn off the power supply in order to shut it down. And to say that I followed to the letter the tutorial on this page:

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian- ... ation.html

Everything went well (at least it looked so), I received only positive replies except at the end a comment like "nvidia has tainted the kernel" or something like that.
I then started the xserver (# startx) and everything went black.

Any suggestions as to why or to what I have done wrong? How can I at least go back to command-line? When rebooted, the x server starts automatically, and from there onwards....BLACK.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I have been around this installation for 4 days now. There wasn't a single piece of hardware in my computer that worked with Debian (except the NIC). I have had to configure EVERYTHING, starting from the SATA drive! I am exhausted. If anyone can help, good, otherwise I'll just overwrite Debian with SuSE.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Do <ctrl><alt><F2> to get to a console prompt, and log in as root.
Do uname -a to determine what kernel image your computer is using. Example: Linux <computer_name> 2.6.11-1-k7 #1 <date> ...
Reinstall your kernel with the command apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.11-1-k7 --reinstall
Do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and select the nv driver.
Reboot.