Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install Everything.. is it possible?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Durandal

Install Everything.. is it possible?

#1 Post by Durandal »

The reason I wanted to install Debian was so that I could learn Linux. I have burned the Debian DVD's and I suppose that any time I need/want a program I can use aptitude or apt-get to install it. But since I have the hard drive space (it'll take up what? 40 GB's?) I'd like to install every package. I know that it's a lot of stuff I might not need right now (or ever) but I'd like to have it directly on my hard drive.

Guess my question is whether or not it's possible to do from installation or do I have to manually apt-get every package I want, post-installation? Using aptitude I tried adding everything but it gave me some error about certain files relying on other files so programs couldn't be added/deleted.

Durandal

anon

#2 Post by anon »

Some packages conflict with others, so it's impossible to install them all.
If there's a good way of installing almost all packages and selecting by hand among the remaining conflicts, then that's more than I know.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

Installing everything has been tried, and it uncovered a few hundred bugs.

You should be able to install everything except 'extra', but I think it'll make your system very slow, that you'd rather only install stuff you really need. If you don't know what you're looking for, you won't find it anyway regardless of whether you have it installed or not.

dawgie

#4 Post by dawgie »

It is frigin' amazing that Debian has more than 15,000 packages!!
Why would you wnat to install 10 mail servers 20 mail clients 15 web browsers 30 text editors etc?? There would be lots of wasted resources like database servers that are not used. Sounds like a fun experiment though.