Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian, Netinstall, and packages

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Big Calhoun

Debian, Netinstall, and packages

#1 Post by Big Calhoun »

Quick question...is there a resource that shows what packages are available with regards to the various installation messages and ISOs?

I completed a netinstall using the TFTPBOOT.GZ package on the Debian mirrors. Decompressed that into the TFTP directory of my working FC4 install and had my computer up and running in a little over 2 hours (complete net install).

When I did the netinstall, I opted for everything but it hardly seems like 15,000 packages. I downloaded the 14 ISOs but haven't used them because I was able to do the net install. I was also comtemplating getting the DVD but I think I read that doesn't even come with all the packages.

So I was just wondering if there was anything that tells you what packages are available depending on you install method.

jobezone

Re: Debian, Netinstall, and packages

#2 Post by jobezone »

Big Calhoun wrote:Quick question...is there a resource that shows what packages are available with regards to the various installation messages and ISOs?

I completed a netinstall using the TFTPBOOT.GZ package on the Debian mirrors. Decompressed that into the TFTP directory of my working FC4 install and had my computer up and running in a little over 2 hours (complete net install).

When I did the netinstall, I opted for everything but it hardly seems like 15,000 packages. I downloaded the 14 ISOs but haven't used them because I was able to do the net install. I was also comtemplating getting the DVD but I think I read that doesn't even come with all the packages.

So I was just wondering if there was anything that tells you what packages are available depending on you install met
Both the netinstall, and the DVD or CD's install, give you the same acess to the same amount of packages in the debian repositories. Open aptitude or synaptic, and check the number of packages available, it should list many, many of them that you haven't installed.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!