Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ehhhh....install says no.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.

Ehhhh....install says no.

#1 Post by Guest »

I am using an Intel Celeron D processor, and an NVidia Geforce FX 5500.

I downloaded the netinst package for i386 processor architecture (which I'm assuming is what Intel uses), and burned this to CD-R, restarted. I see the boot screen for Debian and says to press enter to boot the kernel. I, of course, do this, only for the system to uncompress the kernel and something else and suddenly - IT REBOOTS.

Does anyone have suggestions for me? I really wanted to try out this distro. I used Knoppix before it but failed at getting it to connect to the internet (this was on a different PC machine). I am on a cable connection now, which I've heard is much easier to configure for Linux. Anyway, some help on getting this sucker to run is very much appreciated.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

My confidence in the Debian Sarge installer isn't 100%. I would use the current testing installer, which has the benefit of three months of debugging since the Sarge installer was released.

Veclord

#3 Post by Veclord »

I tried it and got identical results.

I guess I might have to try a different distro >_<.

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

Nope! Too soon to give up. Post your problem to debian-boot mailing list. Those are the people who wrote the installer and will be the ones to squash the bugs.

Veclord

#5 Post by Veclord »

Well now I'm really pissed. I just downloaded the ENTIRE 4 CD installation of Fedora, to experience the EXACT same problem. Now there really is something funky going on. Anyone have a clue what this might be? It's happening with any linux installation.

EDIT: Since this post I've tried several things. I booted using the "noprobe" and "skipdcc" options, I tried text mode, rescue mode, and about every other mode. My computer has 1024 MB of total RAM, and one 512 stick is a different brand than the other. I thought maybe Linux didn't like this, so I took out one and the same thing happened. Could it be incompatible with Celeron D's?

EDIT 2: Alright, after using the "acpi=off" option I was able to boot the installation. Same with Fedora, except for that it still crashes midway :shock: .

EDIT 3: Downloaded the RPMs needed to complete the installation. I created a partition under the ext2 file-system. Upon boot, the kernel begins to load passing "gibberish" down the screen like usual, but it always freezes near the end and forces me to power off the machine and restart. The message I normally got ended with "init[1328] pre-empt count 4", and I decided to try adding "acpi=off" in the boot options. After doing so, I made it to the same spot, but recieved another error message saying something about "not syncing".

I'll be honest, I really do want to give up...

EDIT 4: Yep! I've had my fill. Redhat boots to the start up screen and begins mounting my devices, to which point it stops and switches into the console telling me to repair my filesystems. At that point, none of the commands respond except for "exit", which reboots the machine. It is now to the point where this happens every single time I boot the operating system. So now, I quit and refuse to fool with it any longer. Apparently, Linux is so secure that not even I can use it! Oh well!

Xander

#6 Post by Xander »

im taking a wild guess but could it be a hardware problem? have you tried with windows to see if that works?

Harold

#7 Post by Harold »

There are two classes of Celeron D: Prescott-256 and Prescott-V. One of the two uses Intel's EMT64 Technology. Which do you have?