Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ALSA setup problems... SOLVED

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.

ALSA setup problems... SOLVED

#1 Post by Guest »

I just installed Debian on an old 200 I had laying around.. trying to make it into an IPOD ~:-)

It's got an old ISA ES1868 sound card. Did my searches and found that ALSA supports it.

Did the apt-get for the ALSA modules. Things installed fine. Ran alsaconf and it found my card. And the alsaplayer played an MP3... Life is good!

The I rebooted....

No sound... noticed a message during startup...

Setting up ALSA card done (not loaded).

and alsaplayer upchucks... Rerun alsaconf, alsaplayer works fine.

Start doing some web searches.. find all sorts of information.. Most starts with 'cat /proc/asound/cards'... which doesn't work... I look in /proc/ and there is no /proc/asound/ directory... Strange....

Run alsaconf and now there is an /proc/asound/cards

Try to figure out how to create one... no messages in syslog, or errors..

Putting pieces together, it appears that /etc/modules needs to be changed to start the SND module at boot time. Just add the one line snd to the end of /etc/modules and reboot... Works fine now....

Just thought I would document it in case others are having a simular problem.

Nick