Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't get kernals?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Notorious Bob

Can't get kernals?

#1 Post by Notorious Bob »

Hi, I'm new to Debian Linux. I got a Deb CD from a friend and tried installing it, but I'm running into some problems.

I installed Debian. That went fine..but configuring it.. :? I think you need Kernals to run Deb, which I can't get. When I erased my HD to get Debian, the files that run my wireless card got erased too, so I can't get online to download the kernals.

I've giving up on getting this installed and I'm now trying to reinstall windows. Problem with that is I need to enter some command to get the Cd running (or take off Debian then put the CD in) How would I go about doing that?

Thanks for the help.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

For getting your wireless to work, what type of wireless adapter do you have? Giving the relevant line of lspci output should be enough. Not all wireless adaptars are supported equally well, but most if not all can be gotten working in Debian/Linux.

As to getting windows back, windows installation cd's are typically booteable, so just put in your CD drive and reboot? In any case, getting windows installation help isn't the topic of this forum :).

Notorious Bob

#3 Post by Notorious Bob »

It's a Lynksys one. Wireless-G or something like that.

Well, I know how to get windows installed :?

I just can't get the CD running. Tried restarting, didn't work..is it possible to take Debian off my other comp, then try installing windows?