Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dual boot question

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
cwh

Dual boot question

#1 Post by cwh »

I'd like to install Debian with windows xp on my computer.

Some Fedora books(bible, unleash,..) stated that dual-boot linux(2.6) with windows xp causes xp inaccessible problem. They indicated that it was a bug in the kernel 2.6 or Fedora's installer problem. Is it true? Is there anyone trying to install Debian linux dual-boot with windows xp which causes this kind of problem? If it is true, how to fix it?

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!

cwh

#2 Post by Guest »

I have installed debian sarge, debian etch (testing, net-install) and mandriva 2005 LE, on 3 different computers always in dual boot with winXP, with no problems whatsoever. WinXP is always accessible. All Linux distros carried kernels ranging from 2.6.8 to 2.6.11. I always used Grub as bootloader.
I don't know about fedora, maybe it is a problem with that distribution.

cwh

#3 Post by cwh »

Thank you for your quick response. That's probably it, it is most likely the problem of the Fedora' installer.

By the way, is it possible to install several different distros (like Debian, SuSE, etc.) multi-boot with windows xp on one machine at the same time? If it is possible, how the partition works during installation? (such as how root directory "/" distinguish between different linux distros?)

cwh