Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Copy from CD / xterm issues

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rvereker

Copy from CD / xterm issues

#1 Post by rvereker »

Hi I'm a newbie but have armed myself with the Debian 3.1 Bible which I have found very good

however I'm just installing the the xfree86 desktop and have been unable to get it to work.

I also don't seem to have the xterm software it requires to be installed (I think it may have been missed on my cd or I'm just being dim. I have susscessfully downloaded another copy of xterm however I do not know how to get the Tar file from the CD Rom onto the HHD so I can install it , can any one help me ?

Thankyou in advance

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

Tarball.... is this the source code files?

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

rvereker> I'm just installing the the xfree86 desktop and have been unable to get it to work.
Do apt-get update && apt-get install x-window-system-core.
What desktop environment or window manager do you want to use?

rvereker> I also don't seem to have the xterm software it requires to be installed.
Do apt-get install xterm.

rvereker> I do not know how to get the Tar file from the CD Rom onto the HHD so I can install it.
The files on the installer CD are debian (.deb) files, not tarballs. If you have successfully established a cable or dsl internet connection (that is, something faster than dial-up), then it's easier to install applications from the internet than from the installer CD. If you have a slow (dial-up) internet connection, then you do want to use the installer CD as a debian source. Do apt-cdrom and follow the prompts.