Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

14 files to download? Which packages contain each CDs?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
BugFactory

14 files to download? Which packages contain each CDs?

#1 Post by BugFactory »

Hello, I am a new Debian user and new to this forum.

First thing first : downloading the thing. I read the instructions, I install Bittorrent since this seems to be the preffered solution...

And I have 14 iso files from which to choose from. I want the CD ROM, full offline installation, with bootable CDs. My PC is a laptopt with a pentium 4, so hopefully I need the i386 version. Now why is there 14 different iso files? Debian cannot possibly be THIS big?

[Edited]

At this point, I realized that each file contain different package.

I have found in another topic on this forum that you only need the first CD to set up a working Internet connection. What does each cd contain? I intend to install Tomcat 5.028, MySQL 4.1 and Eclipse WTP. Which CDs could interest a developper new to Debian?

Please help!

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

The CDs are arranged such that the most popular files are on CD No. 1 and the least popular on CD No. 14. If you downloaded all 14 CDs, you must have a fast (cable or DSL) internet connection. In that case, there is no need to worry about what package is on what CD. After you install Debian (from CD No. 1), you can easily install packages from the internet.

PS: When you boot the Debian installer and see the initial splash screen, type expert26, then press enter.

#3 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply. So the most interesting packages are the ones in the top. Does anyone know where I could find their precise content? I do not have enough time to download them all.

Also, what does expert26 does?

And finally, does anyone know of a good tutorial for Linux? I used to be good with it, but I have not used it in a long, long time, and I am surprised at how much I forgot. I even forgot how to install new packages! I need to get back on train.

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

BugFactory> What does expert26 do?

26 commands the installer to install a 2.6 kernel instead of a 2.4 kernel. expert commands the installer not to use any default values without giving you the opportunity to review the default and change it if you wish. The biggest problem with not using expert mode is that you don't get the opportunity to decide how you want your hard drive partitioned. I recommend that even the greenest Linux newbie use expert mode.

BugFactory> Does anyone know where I could find their precise content?

I have never seen that list. I just examined CD No. 1 and did not find a list.

anon

#5 Post by anon »

Currently there is no _good_ way of finding out what package is on what cd.
http://haydn.debian.org/~ftlerror-guest/list.txt is just a simple list by packagename.

BugFactory

#6 Post by BugFactory »

Thanks! I downloaded Debian and installed it successfully. Except my CD ROM won't work. Please check my topic in hardware for yet another question.