Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wireless adapter install?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
dyoungm

#1 Post by dyoungm »

To install my wireless I tried to follow the overal instructions but it did not get recognized and I stumbled along until someone said try to google the name and linux. This is what I located by doing that:

USB-11 mini
Driver : at76c503-0.8.corega.tar.gz
at76c503-0.8.corega.tar.gz‚ð“WŠJ
root Ġ

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Looks like the USB-11-mini uses an Atmel chipset. You might want to take a look at http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/

dyoungm

#3 Post by dyoungm »

Went to the suggested site and found a lot of information but can not figure out how to get-apt from a floppy while root, how to get the floppy drive to read a IBM format disc since I do not have internet or another Opensource machine to down load the driver from and when I try to see what devices such as usb and cards are on my system is says the file was not found.
The articles led to a neat program that replaces get-apt but when I followed the instructions to install that package it said the package was not found. When I put the Debian CD in the drive it goes into install mode thus not giving me a chance to see if the package is on the cd and use get-apt -cd ...

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

I assume that you downloaded atmelwlandriver-3.4.0.2.tar.bz2 and copied it onto a floppy disk. Insert the floppy disk into the computer running Debian and, at the console prompt, do mount /floppy/ followed by cp /floppy/* /target_directory/. Unmount the floppy disk (umount /floppy/) before removing it from the floppy drive.

cd to the directory containing the new file and do tar xjf atmelwlandriver-3.4.0.2.tar.bz2 to unpack it. cd into the new directory atmelwlandriver and read README.

dyoungm> When I put the Debian CD in the drive it goes into install mode thus not giving me a chance to see if the package is on the cd and use get-apt -cd ...
Are you saying that the desktop environment automounts CDs and searchs for an executable to autostart? What desktop environment are you using?

dyoungm

#5 Post by dyoungm »

no I did not do that but will give it a whirl when I get to the keyboard at home tonight. Thanks and will let you know how I get on with it.