Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ETCH vs. nForce3 250Gb SATA

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
daveh

ETCH vs. nForce3 250Gb SATA

#1 Post by daveh »

During Debian EDGE install via "linux26" (2.6.12 kernel?) it appears to load sata_nv. When I get to the partitioning part, the SATA drive does not show up (the IDE one does). SATA access is via the nForce3 20Gb chipset on the mobo.

What has me confused is that before attempting a Debian install I booted a Knoppix CD (v3.9, 2.6.11 kernel). Knoppix saw my SATA drive just fine, and I could easily access all my existing NTFS partitions there. Onboard sound worked with Knoppix as well. Didn't check onboard NIC with Knoppix, but checked it with Ubuntu (5.10 preview) live CD (2.6.12 kernel?) and it worked fine there. So I thought my hardware was A-OK for a Debian install with the 2.6.12 kernel given the other Debian-based distros worked. What am I missing here?

Thanks

daveh

#2 Post by daveh »

Oops ... typo above. In case it's not clear, "nForce3 20Gb" should be "nForce3 250Gb"

daveh

#3 Post by daveh »

Talk about typos. I need to go to bed before I totally nuke my chances of any kind of response by confusing everyone.

"EDGE" should have been "ETCH".

Please feel free to mentally correct any OTHER typos that I've slipped in there!

daveh

#4 Post by daveh »

To close this out, I did find the problem. I was running the Edge installer with linux26 to have the 2.6.12 kernel installed. However, the installer itself is based on 2.6.8

There is a known problem with 2.6.xx versions kernels prior to 2.6.10 with the nForce3 250Gb chipset, possibly compounded by a Seagate SATA drive (yes, I have both of these prerequisites).

http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3352

I think that were I able to get Edge installed with it's final 2.6.12 kernel, SATA would have worked for me. But the 2.6.8 installer was not able to detect my SATA drive, so it had no place to install the 2.6.12 kernel. A bit of a stumbling block there!

The fix was to go to Sid which has an installer based on 2.6.12 Now I have progressed past the lack of SATA drive detection, and on to other problems that nuke the install. But at least I made a small step forward!