Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't install Debian 3.1 on HP Pavilion 7955 computer

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.

Can't install Debian 3.1 on HP Pavilion 7955 computer

#1 Post by Guest »

I'm using a HP Pavilion 7955 computer with an Intel Pentium 4 processor and 256 megabytes of RAM, and I can't install Debian 3.1.

I have copied the net install ISO folder that I downloaded to a CD and have set BIOS to boot from my DVD drive first, but the Debian installation screen doesn't appear at all—Windows XP simply starts up as usual.

Thanks for any help!

tim

#2 Post by tim »

It sounds like you didn't create an iso installation cd. Simply copying the downloaded iso folder to a cd won't work. You need to use your cd buring software (what are you using?) to create the iso.
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 Post by Guest »

I did burn it to a CD, using Windows XP's own CD burning software. I wasn't sure whether to burn the ISO archive itself to the CD, or whether to unpack the files and folders and burn them all onto the CD individually. I did use both metods, though, regardless.

inconnu

#4 Post by inconnu »

Hi Guest,

I'm not sure :?: :?: if the Windows utility can burn a bootable iso image (as opposed to a data cd containing an iso), which is what you'll need to do.

You can use the "free" CDBurner XPro (rummages through bookmarks) from here: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ , which is what I used.

Sorry that I can't recall the proper steps -- it's been several months since I burned an image in Windows, and I no longer have MS on my box. What you don't do is simply burn a data cd. It must be burned as an iso image, and it must be bootable!

Their forums have this topic which covers burning a slipstreamed xp sp1+sp2 cd: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2143 See the second post there.
The process for burning a GNU/Linux iso cd is similar. Note that, naturally, using the autostreamer discussed is unnecessary, as you already have the iso image.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1

#5 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help, Inconnu. I posted the same question over at the comp.os.linux.setup usenet group, and many of the replies were simply rude and unhelpful. Nice to see that some are willing to help! :)