Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian3.0 & fc2 on same machine

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
owa

debian3.0 & fc2 on same machine

#1 Post by owa »

I'm currently using FC2(2.6.7Netraverse enables)Win4Lin. I have 2 40G hd's. I intend to keep FC2 on one hd and install Debian3.0 on the other. Are there any special considerations or pitfalls I should be aware of?
I have a partition on hd0 (hda4) set up as my home directory, and mounted as /nome. Can I share /home with both distributions, or should I keep them separate, and mount them individually in fstab in /mnt/home-on-hda and /mnt/home-on-hdc ?
If I upgrade the debian kernel to 2.6.7, do I use the 2.6.7 kernel from kernel.org, or should I download one from a preferred debian source .... or is there such a thing?
Knowlege and understanding beforehand saves cursing and 'now what's afterwards.
Thanks for any help.
owa

aigarius
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Re: debian3.0 & fc2 on same machine

#2 Post by aigarius »

owa wrote:Can I share /home with both distributions, or should I keep them separate, and mount them individually in fstab in /mnt/home-on-hda and /mnt/home-on-hdc ?
You should not share the home directory, because you will propably have different versions of programms on both sides and this leads to no-end of possible complications and sometimes might even lead to a data loss.
owa wrote:If I upgrade the debian kernel to 2.6.7, do I use the 2.6.7 kernel from kernel.org, or should I download one from a preferred debian source .... or is there such a thing?
You can use the stock (kernel.org) kernel or you can 'apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.7' which has some extra fixes backported from next kernel versions and some features added.

dickr

#3 Post by dickr »

What you can do:
- share swap partition(s)
- share /tmp partition (debian cleans it out at boot-up. Be aware of that)
- share an extra additional data-partition (e.g. /mnt/transfer)
I code object-dis-oriented

saintshakajin

#4 Post by saintshakajin »

You can use the same /home partition if you add another user. I've a Debian & a Mandrake on my computer. I use the same swap for both Linux and the same /home but with 2 users (saintshakajin & ssj) so there isn't any problem and you've only one home partition :)