Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Fail installing base system

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
EagleScreen

Fail installing base system

#1 Post by EagleScreen »

I am trying to install Debian at first time.
I am burned the image file: debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso, i think it is the right image for my 32 bits Pemtium 4.
When installer is installing the base system, an error appears in a windows over red screen and says:

Debootstrap program finished with errors (return value 1)
Check file /var/log/messages or see to the third virtual console por details.

When I look the third virtual console, the last text that I find is:

insmod crc32
insmod mii
insmod 8139too

File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open

No matching physical volumes found
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
No volumes groups found
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
tar: ./usr/share/man/man3/Locate: :gettext.3pm.gz: Invalid argument

anon

#2 Post by anon »

Try linux26 at the prompt to get a 2.6 kernel.

rc

Same here - help please

#3 Post by rc »

I get a similar problem... Did you find a solution for this ? - I get this problem while going through the installation process during the Base System Installation phase.

tovis

#4 Post by tovis »

Please be more precize! What configuration your box, it's quite pure that's it a Pentium 4.
Have you checked different boot options for installer?

mephisto

No Volume found ?!

#5 Post by mephisto »

Sorry for any inaccuracies, but my box is home and i dont have the notes to quote from .... the good news is, Sarge was a smooth install on the desktop, twice... after I hosed my home account.

Problems were on the laptop install where the base install stopped according to an error referenced earlier in these posts, volume manager, 3 not found , 4 not found etc .... with the 2.6 kernel. My thoughts are either there are defects or corruptions on the dvd (it failed integrity testing, but so do most of my cds and dvds) or a glitch in the new HW of a fujitsu laptop. Tried every boot parameter I could, with no apic no lapic, no acpmia , no this, no that, most if not all of them...reread the manuals and the latest how tos I can find...

To make a long story short, Im glad I got debian up and running (even if it open a floppy cause no filesystem is specified ...) but would love to see a solution for the problem outlined above ; or at least a cause for the problem. Will try to install off a new cd iso burn soon, since i think my systems dvd player is el cheapo ... but the no LVM found quoted earlier makes me wonder if it is the dvd .... after three days using deb on the desktop and some deb offshoots like mepis and kubuntu on the laptop ....is the headache worth it? Hell yeah. Im starting to like the fact that the system doesnt make a mess of default choices for me, even if the learning curve suddenly got steeper. Viva la Debian!

Ill definitely be following this site now that Sarge is up and running , on the desk at least, so any help about these failed base installs will be appreciated.

#6 Post by Guest »

Be more precise! What is that box configuration, CPU RAM Video HDD?
Manufacturer?

mephisto

#7 Post by mephisto »

When I get home and can lsmod myself till the cows come home I CAN be more precise ... sheesh!

Thought Id post something quick since the installation failure specs sounded too familiar... and that maybe other people have the exact same problem at the same point in the install ... seriously though, its a via chipset, Fujitsu Seimans Amilo Pro V2010, trying to install on the fifth thru seventh partition with a Mepis dual boot ... installing off a dvd, with a CD R / DVD drive. 40GB HD, Celeron CPU ...more when I can get to my laptop ...

tovis

#8 Post by tovis »

Fujitsu-Siemens - I remeber, it's a suck :cry:
Seem to mee that the setup can not find any physical volume to use. I thought that installer goes from RAM disk - maybe not enough RAM?
trying to install on the fifth thru seventh partition with a Mepis dual boot ...
What does it mean, you up to install in logical partition, no primaries left?
What a heck the "Mepis dual boot" Linux has the best mulibooting options lilo - grub.
If you walk in the installation procedure up to partitioning, then where your install stuck?

mephisto

#9 Post by mephisto »

The Mepis bootloader works fine ...ive got the Mepis on the first three partitions including swap ... with about 15 GB left on the logical partition, (Parition 4) including 5,6 and 7 as root, user and home partitions. I was led to believe i dont need another swap since linux will use one swap partition for two or more linux installations. But yes, it seems that the error on console 3 insists there are no matching physical volumes found.

I just want to make sure that (with two installs successful on the desktop) that the problem isnt really a DVD problem. I would be wasting my time if the dvd is iffy, or my dvd drive on the laptop is not as good and is giving me headaches ... or if it was something in my paritiioning or parameter choices that screws up. Then I could try again. The install hangs during the base install, and more than once claimed cannot locate host name ...no wonder since the machine is not online and i havent configured any network yet.

With a knackered DVD there is no point in trying again till i have a new, usable dvd or cds to use. Thanks for getting back so quick though. Im curious whether i can write off the problem as a bad dvd, or go back to the drawing board and try installing again?

#10 Post by Guest »

Trying several times last nite with more config options, it still hangs on cannot download hostname ...which makes no sense since i didnt config any internet connection cause there isnt any .... happens about 11% into the installing base system ...cannot retreive hostname.... ?!