Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Chrooting while trying to reinstalling grub

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
satish_bhat

Chrooting while trying to reinstalling grub

#1 Post by satish_bhat »

I have a peculiar problem as of now, I had multiple operating sys installed on my machine, of which Debian Linux sarge was one of them. The installation is the beta version of sarge and does not have the rescue option during boot

I have used grub as the boot-loader. It has crashed now giving an Error 22
I try to rescue using a Fedora Core 3 CD, by typing linux-rescue, it recognizes the linux part and loads it in /mnt/sysimage

However the next step is where I am stuc big time, chrooting by typing the command "chroot /mnt/sysimage" (sans quotes of course) only to get the following error
"unable to execute /bin/bash no such file or directory"

I have tried various combination of chroot commands,

I have tried to boot up using the debian DVD and using the shell command forcefully using the Alt+F2 command and then mounting the partitions manually, however I am stuck at the chroot command even then.

Please some one help me as I am not being able to use my machine for the past one week or so.

Thanks & Regards,
satish

anon

#2 Post by anon »

Well, is there a /bin/bash on /mnt/sysimage? Is it mounted with enough permissions. I'm asuming you're doinig this as root so the permission of your user isn't a problem.

satish_bhat

permissions

#3 Post by satish_bhat »

since I have booted with the linux rescue command, I guess the permissions are enough, I am not an expert user of linux. when I type the command "whoami", it returns root.

Using this I have manually mounted the partition. however when I try to do a chroot I get the error /bin/bash not found

I have checked it /mnt/sysimage/bin/bash is existing
there is also a /bin/bash so I am not able to figure out the problem