Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Using the install disks after installation...

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
nick

Using the install disks after installation...

#1 Post by nick »

I know that this isn't technically about the install process, but it seemed appropriate to ask here because this is related to the full install disks.

When you install debian, there are so many packages that you cannot possibly be expected to know when you install which ones you are going to need. The reason I got the set of sarge disks instead of the netinstall disk is because I have a slow connection to the internet.
I now want to install some of the packages I didn't put on my computer during the initial install, but I don't know how to make apt-get point to the cds. Surely there must be a way to get apt-get to recognise the disks as a valid repository of packages, but the sources list only contains a list of servers. Is it possible to just add the cd mount point to apt-get's sources list somehow?

inconnu

#2 Post by inconnu »

I still have this (commented out) in my sources.list from my installation:
deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

You might try that. Also, since these may be a bit older than the current package, you might check for security updates on those packages.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1

#3 Post by Guest »

Thanks very much. For some reason I don't have this in my sources.list.
Maybe there is a way to run that useful tasksel programm after the installation has finished.

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

This won't do for a multi-CD installation. You should use the 'apt-cdrom add' command instead. This has the advantage (among other ones) that Debian will ask for the appropriate CD upon install (so if you try to install a package which is located on CD#2, it will ask for that CD).

#5 Post by Guest »

apt-cdrom? I've seen apt-get, apt-cache, and so on, but apt cd-rom is new to me. Thanks very much. Would apt-dvd ask you for the appropriate dvd?

lacek

#6 Post by lacek »

'apt-cdrom add' is used for CDs avd DVDs as well.
And it won't actially ask for anything, you use it for registering CDs to the cache. So you execute 'apt-cdrom add' for every CD/DVD you have, after this, you can use 'apt-get' as usual, it will ask for the CDs.