Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

upgrading to unstable

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
viniosity

upgrading to unstable

#1 Post by viniosity »

I have a thinkpad x41 and was able to use debian until about kernel 2.6.12. After that (on a clean install of stable) when I upgrade the kernel I get a warning about ramdisk tools not being there. But it lets me install the kernel anyway. After that, upon reboot, I get a kernel panic -- something about a sync issue.

Did I miss a step? -- is this something to do with initrd? Would love to get debian back on my system, but this issue is consistent. I even tried compiling my own kernel by hand but still get the same problem.

Thanks..

anon

#2 Post by anon »

You need a newer udev (might need other things aswell).

viniosity

#3 Post by viniosity »

I figured it out.. turns out that the 2.4.27 kernel recognizes my drive as hda1 while the 2.6.14 kernel sees it as sda. I had to change those in grub and fstab and then it worked.

Still, looks like ipw2200 wireless is borked in the latest kernel so back to breezy for me.