Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ALSA installation blocked by "snd-seq-midi"

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Olivier

ALSA installation blocked by "snd-seq-midi"

#1 Post by Olivier »

Hello all,
I have freshly installed Debian 3.1 and I wanted to install the ALSA drivers (and use dmix that comes with it). After having spent 2 days on the web looking for a solution, I still don't have THE solution but I have some doubts with the ALSA installation. I installed the driver as explained here: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/do ... e=intel8x0 and I have an error when I try to load the modules:

Code: Select all

SOLSITO:/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.10# modprobe snd-intel8x0;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-seq-midi which is needed for snd-seq-oss
When I try to load "snd-seq-midi" manually, I get:

SOLSITO:/usr/src/alsa/alsa-utils-1.0.10# modprobe snd-seq-midi
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-seq-midi
Thus I guess I cannot use ALSA's dmix because it cannot load "snd-seq-oss". I have some doubts.
Anyway, I don't understand why alsaplayer can"t find its own driver:

olivier@SOLSITO:~$ alsaplayer
Failed to load output plugin "alsa". Trying defaults.
My questions:
1) Does anybody understand why I don't have the snd-sep-midi module? and how I could install it?
2) Why mplayer can use ALSA but not alsaplayer?

Thanks for your help,

OIivier