Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

APT sources / connection?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Ralnir

APT sources / connection?

#1 Post by Ralnir »

I got the latest netinst (31r1) and I burned it with Nero, but that doesn't seem important enough. Anyways, during the installation process, I get an error (which is at the bottom of this post.) I filled out the network settings to the best of my ability, but it's PPPoE, and I don't know if that's fine for this sort of thing. I have tried many different installation configurations, even changing how the harddrive is partitioned, but it's all the same.

I own a wireless router, but the PC that Debian is being installed to is physically wired to the router. For argument's sake, it's a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. Is my network configuration wrong, or did the CD Image somehow get corrupt, or what? Also, I do not have a name server, as I run my own network.

-----------------------------------------------------
Original Error:

No installable kernel found
No installable kernel was found in the defined APT sources.

he current default kernel package is 'kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386'.

You may try to continue though this rather strange error is probably fatal.

muskrat

#2 Post by muskrat »

I don't believe there's enough information in your post.

Are you getting this error with the base install? That's the way it looks to me, if so I'd say ether Nero did a bad burn or you have a bad down load. Did you check you ISO with MD5 check sum. There is a md5sum.exe at http://www.etree.org/md5com.html that works with windows. If your using linux just run the command,

Code: Select all

md5sum somefile.iso
After which just locate the md5sum listed for that .iso whereevery you downloaded it. if thier the same then it's a burner problem.

I've use Nero a few times but I'm not a wiz with it so I couldn't tell you the exact way, I have seen a good Howto listed on one of these forms on how to burn good linux ISOs.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

Mexican_Pirate

#3 Post by Mexican_Pirate »

Nero seems to be a very reliable burning program, although some versions that come with a CD burner burn corrupted discs unless used with that exact piece of hardware that it came with. You are using the right copy, right?
Arr, ese!