Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debootstrap Erro

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.

Debootstrap Erro

#1 Post by Guest »

Mid September I bought the then current set of Sarge CDs. I had a
problem installing Debian on one PC, so I tryed the install another PC
to isolate the problem. On the 2nd computer, Debian installed
perfectly (single boot configuration). I returned to the first PC to retry the install (for a dual-boot system), but I still get an error in
the "install base system" process: "Debootstrap Error. Couldn't
download apt-utils". Can you tell me what's going wrong and how I fix
it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Trish

P.S. Previously on 1st PC, I had a good dual boot system consisting of Win98 and MEPIS - where MEPIS was occupying the hard drive I now want
to overwrite with Debian.

trave11er

Re: Debootstrap Erro

#2 Post by trave11er »

Anonymous wrote:I returned to the first PC to retry the install (for a dual-boot system), but I still get an error in
the "install base system" process: "Debootstrap Error. Couldn't
download apt-utils". Can you tell me what's going wrong and how I fix
it?

That sounds pretty weird. The error means that the apt-utils package could not be read from CD. Since the CDs worked fine on another machine, the only possibility I see is that something is wrong with the CD drive in PC 1. Are you getting the error always in the same place? Do you see any hardware errors in /var/log or on the 2nd/3rd virtual console (you can switch to them with Alt-F2 or Alt-F3) during installation?