Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Distro updating

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
rogleale

Distro updating

#1 Post by rogleale »

Hi,
In the 'How to's, Docs, etc.' forum there is a good howto on upgrading your distro from the web. Is this procedure also possible from a CD set, or is a full install over the top needed.?
Roger

:?:

AdrianTM

#2 Post by AdrianTM »

You can upgrade from the CD too.

Maurice

#3 Post by Maurice »

When you want to upgrade over the web:

Code: Select all

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
will do the job, no matter how you installed debian. Ensure that /etc/apt/sources.list contain the correct links to apt from.

When you want to upgrade from stable to testing to unstable, you should do a little more.
The greatest obstacle while discovering the shape of the earth, the oceans and the continents was not ignorence, but the illusion of knowledge.

http://linux-box.nl

kryptos

#4 Post by kryptos »

Maurice wrote:When you want to upgrade from stable to testing to unstable, you should do a little more.
And what do you have to do for that?

AdrianTM

#5 Post by AdrianTM »

You can change in /etc/apt/apt.conf "testing" or "stable" to "unstable". I don't know how safe it is so try it only if you want to have fun. I upgraded from testing to unstable without major issues but your "millage might vary" so back up your system before you do any major upgrade.

kryptos

#6 Post by kryptos »

OK, thanks, I'll try it soon on a test pc.