Macbook Pro GRUB installation fails

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Macbook Pro GRUB installation fails

Postby batabek » 2009-05-10 04:07

I'm not able to install GRUB during the Debian installation. Is there any work around for this problem ?
(lilo's installation also fails.) I'm using a Macbook Pro(4.1 with Penryn and nVidia graphics).
batabek

Re: Macbook Pro GRUB installation fails

Postby hkoster1 » 2009-05-10 06:34

First time I've heard of such problem. I have the same model MBP 4,1 and am running
Debian mixed testing/Sid on it in a dual-boot arrangement with OS X. The Debian installer
recognized MacIntel hardware and installed grub-pc (part of Grub2) by default. Of course,
the GUID and MBR partition tables must be synched before Debian will boot... is that perhaps
your problem?
Real Debian users don't do chat...
hkoster1

Postby batabek » 2009-05-10 12:47

so can you tell me how to sync it ?
batabek

Postby hkoster1 » 2009-05-10 13:51

batabek wrote:so can you tell me how to sync it ?

Certainly! The easiest way to do this is with the Partition Tool of the rEFIt boot selector.

So, in Mac OS X, download and install the rEFIt disk image from the Download page of
http://refit.sourceforge.net, then install as per the Installation page (accept
all defaults), and then (this is different!) open a Terminal and "bless" rEFIt with the
following command
Code: Select all
$ sudo /efi/refit/enable-always.sh

Again, this is different from the rEFIt Installation instructions, but trust me on this.

Now, you reboot and watch the rEFIt boot selector menu come up: it'll show an Apple
icon and a Penguin icon (if you installed Debian right). Move with the arrow keys to
highlight the Partition tool (on the second row), select it, and accept the proposed
synching of the GUID and MBR partition tables. Not done yet! Use the arrow key to
select Restart (possibly even a cold restart via Shutdown), and when rEFIt comes up
again (and in future) you can select the Penguin icon to boot GRUB and then Debian
GNU/Linux.

Mind you, always supposing that Debian/Grub was in fact installed the right way... :wink:
hkoster1

Postby batabek » 2009-05-10 14:03

I've been using rEFIT already.

hkoster1 wrote:Mind you, always supposing that Debian/Grub was in fact installed the right way... :wink:

that makes the problem: during Grub (or lilo) boot loader installation in Debain setup, the installer says it was unable to install.
batabek

Postby hkoster1 » 2009-05-10 14:24

Then you should boot the Debian install-CD in rescue mode (using a wired internet connection),
chroot into the Debian boot partition (probably /dev/sda3) and try to find out what the problem
is with Grub. Is the "grub-pc" package installed? If it is, you could try reconfiguring it with
# dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

Also check the /etc/default/grub config file, then you could try to install Grub to the MBR
of the HD with
# grub-install /dev/sda

(there should be some feedback as to why it did or did not succeed).

If it succeeded, then you can exit the chroot, then eject the CD and reboot into rEFIt, this time
doing that Partition tool routine. But, I still have that strong feeling that something else went
wrong when you first installed Debian -- have you checked the Debian MacBook Pro wiki page?
Or even the similar page in the Ubuntu wiki?

Good luck!
hkoster1

Postby batabek » 2009-05-10 22:45

thank you for your response, I've finally figured it out. The solution was easy I've only created two partitions: the root(/) and the swap and made the root as bootable by setting its boot flag to on. This solved the GRUB problem, now it is working perfectly.
batabek

Return to Installation