Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation problems & RAID -controllers

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kk

Installation problems & RAID -controllers

#1 Post by kk »

I try to install Debian to Dell PowerEdge 1800 but the installation program says that "No disk were detected". Obviously I need to install some module which can recognize the raid-controller.

SCSI disk array uses the PERC 4/SC raid controller. Are there some "PERC taylored" module or can I use some common raid module. Dell supports Red Hat -linux and there are some RPM -packages on cdroms. Maybe these RPM's can be useful with Debian too?

I'am totally newbie with debian and raid configurations so I would be very grateful for tips!

trave11er

Re: Installation problems & RAID -controllers

#2 Post by trave11er »

kk wrote:I try to install Debian to Dell PowerEdge 1800 but the installation program says that "No disk were detected". Obviously I need to install some module which can recognize the raid-controller.
You do not specify what version of installer you are using. If the failure you describe is with the Woody (Debian 3.0) installer, then consider trying one of the more recent versions of it, more information is available in the FAQ. If you are already using the latest Sarge (Debian 3.1) installer, then try loading the megaraid or megaraid2 kernel module, that should be appropriate driver for your controller according to http://linux.dell.com/storage.shtml. This site may also provide more helpful hints on determining the correct driver. If you'll be able to resolve the problem and complete the install, please submit a (wishlist) bug against discover1-data package, listing the PCI ID of this card (may be obtained with lspci command) and specifying the correct kernel module, which worked for you.

Re: Installation problems & RAID -controllers

#3 Post by Guest »

You do not specify what version of installer you are using. If the failure you describe is with the Woody (Debian 3.0) installer, then consider trying one of the more recent versions of it, more information is available in the FAQ. If you are already using the latest Sarge (Debian 3.1) installer, then try loading the megaraid or megaraid2 kernel module, that should be appropriate driver for your controller according to http://linux.dell.com/storage.shtml.
Thanks for help! I think that the main problem was that I was trying to install Woody to server which contains pretty new hardware. The installation succeeded when I tried to install the sarge -version. Sarge version recognized my hardware automatically so there was no need to install kernel modules etc.