Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No xorg.conf

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
vaikz

No xorg.conf

#1 Post by vaikz »

Hi, just install Debian lenny on my PC w/ Intel graphics. I only install the standard system and install later the xorg, gnome-core, gdm and other stuff I need. I skipped installing the desktop environments. Everything went well and then then try to check xorg.conf, empty. When I run tuxracer to check my fps, it only gives me 10fps. How can I resolve this? when I'm still using Jaunty, I upgrade my kernel to 2.6.30 and it solves my problem with my driver.

1. How can I check if Im using a correct driver? Is there a way to install the driver?
2. I'm planning to upgrade to squeeze, Is the kernel will be upgraded also? like 2.6.29/2.630?

massysett

Re: No xorg.conf

#2 Post by massysett »

No Xorg.conf is now normal; X can now configure itself. You can still write the Xorg.conf if you want though.

To see what video driver you've currently got, look around in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for "Video". At some point you will find something about a "Module" which will show you what video driver you have. To switch drivers, you can create an Xorg.conf which loads the driver you want.

To check on the kernel in squeeze, go to packages.debian.org. You can search on "linux-image" and see what versions are currently in squeeze.

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

You shouldn't need much in xorg.conf, all I have is

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option	 "AllowMouseOpenFail"	"true"
         Option          "DontZap"              "off"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "intel"
        Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"
        Option "MigrationHeuristic" "smart"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load   "dbe"
   Load   "dri"
   Load   "extmod"
   Load   "glx"
   Load   "bitmap"
   Load   "record"
   EndSection
Section "DRI"
   Mode   0666
EndSection

You probably need EXA.

Graphics: Card Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.3 Res: 1280x1024@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 915G GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.5.1 Direct Rendering Yes
xserver-xorg-video-intel:
Installed: 2:2.8.0-2
Candidate: 2:2.8.0-2

This is on sid, so EXA should work OK in lenny.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

superstubby

#4 Post by superstubby »

You can have X generate a xorg.conf file for you.

Code: Select all

sudo Xorg -configure
From the man page:
-configure
When this option is specified, the Xorg server loads all video driver modules, probes for available hardware, and writes out an
initial xorg.conf(5) file based on what was detected. This option currently has some problems on some platforms, but in most
cases it is a good way to bootstrap the configuration process. This option is only available when the server is run as root
(i.e, with real-uid 0).
I believe that it writes it to xorg.conf.new in the current working directory. I seem to remember that it tells you where it writes it and what the file name is. All you should have to do is cp it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X.

As to your TuxRacer problem, I don't think the onboard graphics card has enough juice to handle all the 3D rendering. I have an old dell on which it is completely unplayable (Intel 865 graphics). I've read some recently about the Intel graphics drivers being a little broken. Apparently, there has been a fair amount of work on them recently. Check out this article posted on lxer.com:

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2009/0 ... video.html

vaikz

#5 Post by vaikz »

Thanks for all the reply guys.

Yup I notice also that most of the distro right now dont generate xorg.conf but I just want to make sure about it.

For my video card, I dont expect much on each 3d accelearation, I just want at least a slight of it. But I already tried jaunty and upgrade the kernel to the latest seems to improve on my video.