Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenny install cannot find wifi network?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
sderrick

Lenny install cannot find wifi network?

#1 Post by sderrick »

I'm trying to install Lenny on a Inspiron Notebook, that has Ubuntu on it. Going to install over Ubuntu.

The install whined about supplying iwlwifi-4965-1.ucode, so I copied it to a USB stick. I first tried iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode because -1 is a year old, but that didn't work.

Even with the -1 driver on the USB stick it still says it can't find a network, asks me for the ESSID which I supplied, but it still can't get on.

I dropped to a shell during the install and it shows the iwl4965 driver loaded and 5 or 6 other drivers using it.

I'm reluctant to continue the installation that will wipe out Ubuntu if my wifi card isn't going to work?

what to do?

Scott

gydders

Re: Lenny install cannot find wifi network?

#2 Post by gydders »

If you do have the right firmware then you'll be able to configure your connection with the network-manager when you first log in GNOME. Personally I never configure wifi during install, in part because I've had problems like yours. The machine I'm using right now needs firmware-iwlwifi-4965, which I put there after the install, without ethernet.

What I might do in your situation - free about 15 Gb on your Ubuntu partition, install Debian there, and then if you're happy and all is working well, perhaps just create a new partition with the Ubuntu space and mount it as /home.
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

emariz

#3 Post by emariz »

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i ... 02.html.en
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/firmware-iwlwifi
The installer doesn't whine, it adheres to values that Ubuntu and many others ignore. You should understand this compromise and read about its implications if you want to use Debian.

pentode

#4 Post by pentode »

I've never had any luck trying to do a net install via a wireless connection and I haven't heard of anyone else having much luck either. Somehow, try to get a wired Internet connection for the basic install. Then you can download the appropriate drivers and try to get the wireless working.

It may be possible for wireless NICs that have built-in support, but I've never been that lucky, I guess.

sderrick

#5 Post by sderrick »

OK, I'll try with a wired connection and just assume my wireless can be resurrected after installation.

BreezyCricket

#6 Post by BreezyCricket »

Good luck getting your Wireless connection to work after installation.

I have given up with Debian and am going to another Distro rather than continuing to waste my time on this.

veezeetor

#7 Post by veezeetor »

Well, it definitely depends on your hardware. Have a look at http://www.linux-laptop.net/. You will find reports on debian install on a wide range of models. Yours is probably on the list, I have seen many Inspiron reports. So you will know what is to be expected with your machine. And you will also get a few configuration tips.

davideliza

#8 Post by davideliza »

Hi Sderrick,
There are many software are related with wifi connection.you have tried to install Lenny on a Inspiron Notebook, that has Ubuntu on it. Going to install over Ubuntu.
The install whined about supplying particular code,you have to copied it to a USB stick.If with the -1 driver on the USB stick it still says it can't find a network. Then you have also dropped to a shell during the install and it shows the iwl4965 driver loaded and 5 or 6 other drivers using it. However sometimes it will not work with wifi connection.
bluetooth headset