Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

newbie question net install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
brlmedia

newbie question net install

#1 Post by brlmedia »

hi all, been lurking on here reading posts, etc, having a little linux knowledge i'd like to try debian, started small with the net install, being on dsl i'll grab the rest, i just installed debian, the sarge net installer, yes i'm at the command line, just after reading here i do not know what to start pulling down first, all i have gotten so far is xfree86-common? i know i need some other xfree86 packages, if someone could lead me from here it would be appreciative

thank you
brad

edit - after reading some more, i just added ftp.debian.org to my sources.list and im downloading the desktop environment packages now
thanks!

xhectorx

q

#2 Post by xhectorx »

if you want a gui you need to get x-window-system, x-window-system-core and a desktop enviroment (read kde, gnome, xfce) and you're done