Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

pppoe isn't working but works fine via knoppix

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
vanGogh

pppoe isn't working but works fine via knoppix

#1 Post by vanGogh »

hi! when i start pppoe on my debian 3.0r3 pppoe gives out no errormessages but isn't working correctly (no network connection). same pppoe run under knoppix with exacly the same input is working brilliantly. any suggestions which files to check under debian will be welcome!
where do you want to go today

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Did you use pppoeconf to set up your ppp connection? It is a neat little program and didn't make any mistake around here (just apt-get install pppoeconf).
What does the /var/log/daemon.log file says? Is there some interesting entries in /var/log/messages?

vanGogh

#3 Post by vanGogh »

lacek wrote:Did you use pppoeconf to set up your ppp connection? It is a neat little program and didn't make any mistake around here (just apt-get install pppoeconf).
What does the /var/log/daemon.log file says? Is there some interesting entries in /var/log/messages?
i did use pppoeconf. thats the sticky thing. i used that special program on both my systems, knoppix and debian. i followed the same questions and answered them the same way. and voila, knoppix runs, debian won't.
usualy it (debian) says that there's no pppoe-access-concentrator but sometimes (yes sometimes!) everthing works fine (says pppoe).
thought i'd an old version running under debian but can't download via apt as you mentioned because no network! will check /var/log...
where do you want to go today

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

Another thing to check: This "sometimes" thing leads me to believe that some program rewrites the network config silently. You don't have such programs (like dhcp client), do you?