Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB install can't mount CD rom

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
charles1510

Re: USB install can't mount CD rom

#16 Post by charles1510 »

If you have any problem with usb storage/pendrive instalation of Debian with Unetbootin - the simplest solutionu. You need:
1. PC/virtualPC with Windows
2. HDD Low Level Format Tool
3. HP USB Storage Format Tool
1st you need to format pendrive with HDD Low Level Format Tool - it will erase everything (MBR, partition table), but BIOS will see pendrive as Removable Device. Format it witch HP USB Storage Format Tool and BIOS will see it as USB-HDD/HDD and then make Debian installer with Unetbootin - works like a charm :D

rufong

#17 Post by rufong »

rocolex wrote:I copy a installable ISO to the USB root directory,
first can't detect and mount the cdrom,
terminal

Code: Select all

mount /dev/sdb /media/cdrom

worked for me as well, thx rocolex!

phenest

#18 Post by phenest »

I'm getting the same problem installing Wheezy from an SD card. I put the ISO on the SD card using:

Code: Select all

dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/mmcblk0
It boots ok, but fails finding a cd-rom drive. Probably because my Compaq Mini doesn't have one.
This method worked fine for Squeeze.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

phenest

#19 Post by phenest »

I tried again but this time from an external hard drive. I could then tell it to use sdb as the cdrom, and it continued without a problem. So does my SD card not show as /dev/mmcblk0 any more?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

lolinux

#20 Post by lolinux »

Hey, thank you!

I was trying to install debian i386 from a USB-connected CD-ROM and it kept telling me it was unable to mount the cdrom.
I mounted /dev/cdrom under /cdrom and everything went fine afterwards!

Cheers!
(I hope I didn't revive an old-already-closed thread, just had to create an account to say thanks!)

steve6375

#21 Post by steve6375 »

If you have copied the Kali ISO file to an Easy2Boot USB multiboot drive, then you can use the Install option by mounting the 4th partition as follows

When the CD-ROM is not detected, choose 'No' 'No' <Continue>, and choose the Shell menu option, then type ls /dev/ to find sdx4 (usually sdb4) and then type
mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sdb4 /cdrom
and check if successful using mount command - then type
exit
and proceed with install.

mmm

#22 Post by mmm »

None of the listed solved my problem, but I did find a solution.
I was using Windows 10 to create the USB install created with Universal USB Installer, but was using the default NTFS.
By formatting the USB to fat32, it worked perfectly. The install recognized the cdrom even without the removing and reinserting USB trick.