USB install can't mount CD rom

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

USB install can't mount CD rom

Postby bryanvick » 2010-01-16 06:27

Used unetbootin to create bootable usb w/ debian-503-i386-netinst.iso image. It boots into the installer fine, but fails at the "Detect and mount CD-ROM" step. There is no CD-Rom in this box. What is the point of a USB install if it can't complete without finding a CD-Rom?
bryanvick

Re: USB install can't mount CD rom

Postby paivakil » 2010-01-16 11:05

Have you tried using the "expert" mode?

IIRC, you should be presented with fall back options if CDROM detection fails.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
paivakil

Postby refracta » 2010-01-16 11:57

looks like problems with unetbootin should be reported here - https://bugs.launchpad.net/unetbootin

debian install manual is here - http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

refracta

Postby bryanvick » 2010-01-16 15:30

I have tried expert mode. I have pointed the installer to the device file that is my usb stick, /dev/sdb1. I have tried mounting /dev/sdb1 to a directory I created /usb and pointing the installer at that. I have tried mounting /dev/sdb1 to /media/cdrom0. None of these things work.

I don't think this is a bug with unetbootin, because I boot into the installer fine. The installer not finding a CD-Rom, and then not seeing my USB stick @ /dev/sdb1 is the problem.
bryanvick

Postby bryanvick » 2010-01-16 15:35

Apparently the installer is looking for the CD-ROM at /cdrom, because when I mount /dev/sdb1 there, it passes the detection process.

Now at the "Load installer components from CD" step, I get a "Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?". I've also tried to run the CD integrity check which fails.

Why can't the installer copy files from my usb stick mounted at /cdrom?
bryanvick

Postby aj123 » 2010-01-17 03:20

aj123

Postby saracen » 2010-01-18 14:31

I had the same problem. I have made a mistake when I was downloading initrd.gz and vmlinuz, it turned out that instead of downloading them from ...//cdrom directory i should have done downloaded them from ...//hd-media directory. Double check that you have used correct source directory, it should be ...//hd-media.
saracen

[SOLVED] USB install can't mount CD rom

Postby bryanvick » 2010-01-18 16:46

Problem solved by installing Ubuntu server mode w/ unetbootin. Worked just like I expected it would.
bryanvick

Postby refracta » 2010-01-18 17:04

:lol: didn't solve your unetbootin problem when it is trying to install debian though....but close enough I guess...
refracta

Postby rocolex » 2011-07-08 01:25

I copy a installable ISO to the USB root directory,
first can't detect and mount the cdrom,

i do : execute a shell, mount the usb to the /cdrom ,
mount /dev/sdb /cdrom
then can pass the step and install sussess
rocolex

Postby cthulhu » 2011-07-11 11:21

I'm having the exact same problem as topic creator bryanvick, and saracen, but since I don't have a wired internet connection, I want to use the full 650 MB CD-iso-file, on a 1 GB USB-stick, in which case the suggestion by aj123 will not work
aj123 wrote:Unetbootin is at fault.
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/l ... oot.img.gz
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0 ... etinst.iso
Code: Select all
zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb

Mount and copy the iso over to the usb drive. Do not mix the above.

according to the debian manual, since that only works for iso-files < 256 MB:
Note that, although convenient, this method does have one major disadvantage: the logical size of the device will be limited to 256 MB, even if the capacity of the USB stick is larger. You will need to repartition the USB stick and create new file systems to get its full capacity back if you ever want to use it for some different purpose. A second disadvantage is that you cannot copy a full CD image onto the USB stick, but only the smaller businesscard or netinst CD images.

Q1: Maybe I'm missing something, but is it really as easy as the manual says:
The CD or DVD image you choose should be written directly to the USB stick, overwriting its current contents. For example, when using an existing GNU/Linux system, the CD or DVD image file can be written to a USB stick as follows:
# cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX
# sync

Then why mess about with boot.img, and vmlinux-this-and-that?
Q2: Should the usb-stick be mounted when you use the cat command? (manual doesn't say)
Q3: What is the purpose of the sync command?
Q4: Doing as in Q1, will it affect the size/partitioning of my usb-stick? Will I have to re-partition/format the device after I'm done?
cthulhu

Postby aj123 » 2011-07-13 06:50

cthulhu wrote:I'm having the exact same problem as topic creator bryanvick, and saracen, but since I don't have a wired internet connection, I want to use the full 650 MB CD-iso-file, on a 1 GB USB-stick, in which case the suggestion by aj123 will not work
aj123 wrote:Unetbootin is at fault.
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/l ... oot.img.gz
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0 ... etinst.iso
zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb

Mount and copy the iso over to the usb drive. Do not mix the above.

according to the debian manual, since that only works for iso-files < 256 MB:
Note that, although convenient, this method does have one major disadvantage: the logical size of the device will be limited to 256 MB, even if the capacity of the USB stick is larger. You will need to repartition the USB stick and create new file systems to get its full capacity back if you ever want to use it for some different purpose. A second disadvantage is that you cannot copy a full CD image onto the USB stick, but only the smaller businesscard or netinst CD images.

Q1: Maybe I'm missing something, but is it really as easy as the manual says:
The CD or DVD image you choose should be written directly to the USB stick, overwriting its current contents. For example, when using an existing GNU/Linux system, the CD or DVD image file can be written to a USB stick as follows:
# sync

Then why mess about with boot.img, and vmlinux-this-and-that?
Q2: Should the usb-stick be mounted when you use the cat command? (manual doesn't say)
Q3: What is the purpose of the sync command?
Q4: Doing as in Q1, will it affect the size/partitioning of my usb-stick? Will I have to re-partition/format the device after I'm done?

Q1: Debian is now a hybrid ISO. My previous advice is no longer needed. Cat or DD work now on all debian ISO's from netinst to desktop versions.

# sync

or

# dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/sdX

Q2. Leave it unmounted.
Q3. Makes sure everything is written since you did it manually from CLI. DD doesn't need this.
Q4. It will destroy all partitioning on your usb drive and set up everything automatically. E.g. 1GB flash drive will have a 700MB partition with the Debian installer or Livecd and then you will have 200-300MB space to create another parition.
aj123

Postby petcomp » 2012-06-23 17:36

I made a mistake when trying to format an sd card that I use to but an image put on it by unetbootin. Instead of formating the drive I formatted that partition but without an mbr. So, when I tried to bootup the sdcard with an updated image, which used to work, I got similar message about not being about mount with the "loopback".

I then took my sahara flash drive and put an image on it with unetbootin & it worked. So I went into the disk utility and noticed it had an mbr whereas the sd card did not. I unmounted the sdcard & recreated the partition with an mbr as well as formatted the partition as fat. There appears as if there is no fat32 option, but Ubuntu puts fat32 on it anyways.

After that, I put another image on the sdcard with unetbootin & now it boots into the image.

So that is what appears to be the issue. You need to check that the partition was created with an mbr by using the disk utility in Ubuntu......

BTW url of unetbootin ubuntu install is: http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-install-u ... -in-ubuntu
petcomp

Postby craigevil » 2012-06-23 18:33

petcomp wrote:I made a mistake when trying to format an sd card that I use to but an image put on it by unetbootin. Instead of formating the drive I formatted that partition but without an mbr. So, when I tried to bootup the sdcard with an updated image, which used to work, I got similar message about not being about mount with the "loopback".

I then took my sahara flash drive and put an image on it with unetbootin & it worked. So I went into the disk utility and noticed it had an mbr whereas the sd card did not. I unmounted the sdcard & recreated the partition with an mbr as well as formatted the partition as fat. There appears as if there is no fat32 option, but Ubuntu puts fat32 on it anyways.

After that, I put another image on the sdcard with unetbootin & now it boots into the image.

So that is what appears to be the issue. You need to check that the partition was created with an mbr by using the disk utility in Ubuntu......

BTW url of unetbootin ubuntu install is: http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-install-u ... -in-ubuntu

1) Please do not resurrected old threads
2) This isn't Ubuntu
3) unetbootin is a pos
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil

Postby petcomp » 2012-06-24 23:18

1. Ubuntu has its origins from Debian.
2. If you have spent hours trying to find a solution you take what you get.
3. I could well have kept info to myself and not bothered.
4. A thankyou might have helped....but thx for throwing the book at me........!

:( :( :( :shock: :shock: :shock:
petcomp

Next

Return to Installation